Noise Gates

What's Hot
ToonToon Frets: 57
looking for recommendations on noise gate pedals. 
Boss? TC Electronic? MXR? Decimator? 
Whaddyareckon - any good?

I am not young enough to know everything

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Decimator.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited August 2016
    ISP decimator. Very good, never tried the updated one but also never felt the original had any issues. I put it first in line, after tuner.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I liked the Boss NS-2 turned right up for staccato Pantera type riffing. It's flexible and works.
    For an all-rounder (and my current noise gate of choice) I like the MXR Smartgate. set low, on the hiss setting just to get rid of noise it works perfectly. And has a smaller footprint then the Boss.

I haven't tried a Decimator so can't fairly comment on it.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4044
    edited August 2016
    ISP Decimator really is brilliant.
    And the YT demos show it's better than the Boss (which to be fair, isn't bad in itself), and the MXR looks good too.  Those would be my choices.
    Definitely don't waste any money on the Joyo one -- it's small but so noisy!  More like "Hissing Sid" than a noise gate!

As it happens I have a Decimator which I'm no longer using -- I don't need it any more and I downsized my board.  PM if you're interested. Good cosmetic condition and perfectly functioning.  Industrial Velcro on the bottom.
    £70 posted.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    VHT Valvulator.
    Seriously. It's not even supposed to be a noise gate but it cuts all hiss and hum from the chain. Don't know how it does it, it's like magic.
    Unfortunately it's the size and weight of a breeze-block, so, not exactly a pedal.
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    Decimator....it's witchcraft!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    edited August 2016
    decimator (i haven't tried the newer version) is very good. if you need to cut noise both out front and in the loop and can't stretch to the g-string version (or just two decimators since two don't cost much more than the g-string), though, the boss one will do the job if you use the x-pattern method.