Whistling valve...in a PEDAL

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15981

I'm new tae valve driven pedals.....

Minstrel in hi gain 3rd mode with HIGH, almost maxed, level or drive sometimes produces a high pitched wine and some rustling noises....this par for the course with pedals like this?

it does not happen all the time I try it......and tae be fair I  wouldn't use it like this, I'm just curious about the noise and if it's normal or a dodgy tube

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    My HT Dual does this.
    I think the valve is getting borked and needs replacing.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639
    mike_l said:
    My HT Dual does this.
    I think the valve is getting borked and needs replacing.

Yes Mike you could have a miccy one! They were originally pretty bog S Sovteks but gave decent performance because of the DC heating.

In another thread I tell you how to swap it from the top. ECC83 only please!

Dave.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15981

perhaps some of the experienced guys will pipe up on what tae look/listen for in a bad or dodgy valve...

tae be or not tae be
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Ecc83 is very experienced 
    I've had whistling when turned up past a point with power valves but j tend to burn through then quicker than pres 
    it is very likely to be a valve that has gone microphonic
    turn it up to before whistling and tap the case of the Kingsley with something solid 
    for you hear he thump through your amp it's time for a new pair of valves (might as well do them both if you are taking the case off)
    ive never taken mine apart but it doesn't look that complicated 
    it does look quite right in there for a pedal with 2 valves
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30302
    ecc83 knows so much about valves I always have trouble following what he's saying.
    That's meant as a compliment. :)
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15981

I should take a valve from my Laney VC15 and try it out in the pedal......

I have never removed a valve but have noticed that it would make sense to take note of the vales placement/orientation in the socket so that I could have a reasonable stab at replacing it and not damaging the pins....

anyone any tips for successfully putting the bugger back?

tae be or not tae be
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639
    edited August 2016
    Sassafras said:
    ecc83 knows so much about valves I always have trouble following what he's saying.
    That's meant as a compliment.

And I will take it as such but! Please tell me which bits you did not understand and I will do my best to discombobulate you.

Experienced?? Old certainly and of course I grew up with valves (there was nothing else for a while) but I have had to re-learn a lot in the last few years and HAVE done from the likes of ICBM and others here.

I was of course deeply involved with a "certain brand" for a time but in truth know almost nothing of other makes. Fortunately valves and circuits are pretty much a constant and you can work out what is going on much of the time.

I have always been of the opinion that anyone can grasp the basics of electronics. Ohms Law is just "speed, distance and time" and we all did THAT at school! Anyone who can read and write, cook, drive a car. Use a COMPUTER FCS! Can, IMHO learn enough electricals not to kill themselves and avoid such nasties as earth loops.

Dave. (Hootsmon: I owe you an answer. WILL get to it!)