replacement bulb for jewel light.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
Are the replacement bulbs for jewel lights all the same? I need a new one for my Hughes and Kettner  Puretone head. Can someone put me in the right direction.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

No! Some are a tiny bayonet fitting like a domestic lamp, some are MES. THEN you need the electrical rating. Probably 6-8volts 300mA but then I don't know the amp.

Some can be a right pig to get out! You might need a special rubber tool (shut up at the back!)

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    The bulb was easy to get out. Its a bayonet type with 47 on the side. It looks like a fender type to me when I've looked online.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Get a 12V 4W car sidelamp/dashboard bulb - same size, almost as bright but will never blow.

eg - https://www.bullseyecarparts.co.uk/category/detail/car-maintenance/car-bulbs/side-light-bulbs/ring-carded-ru233-side-tailight-bulb-12v-4w

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Many thanks.
    Yours are much cheaper :).

It baffles me why manufacturers don't fit them as stock! OK they are technically the wrong voltage, but the difference in brightness is fairly negligible in practice when the bulb is going to be hidden by a coloured glass jewel anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Does nobody make an LED replacement?

Dave.

Away with your new-fangled sterile solid state black magic! Bulbs are much warmer.

;)

I don't know. No reason they shouldn't be available though. I have made my own with white LEDs and a resistor when I've needed to replace unusual bulbs sometimes and I can't find one.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Away with your new-fangled sterile solid state black magic! Bulbs are much warmer.

;)

I don't know. No reason they shouldn't be available though. I have made my own with white LEDs and a resistor when I've needed to replace unusual bulbs sometimes and I can't find one.

Ha! I got some strange looks when I suggested it for the Artisans!

BTW the pilot light cover on the very early Artisans was glued on! (they should only have put the green ***t on the BACK threads!) . If you can't shift it (and I broke a couple trying) take the chassis out and heat the back of the lamp up with a hair dryer or VERY carefully with a heat gun. With glove/rag the lens cover should come off. DO NOT heat the lens assy' it will melt!

Dave.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

Yes there are LED replacements. Orange used them.

They still seem to fail though............
    It's also a common fault on the Marshall Vintage Modern. I wonder if they don't like being run on AC without another normal diode to prevent them being reverse-voltaged?

ICBM said:
    It's also a common fault on the Marshall Vintage Modern. I wonder if they don't like being run on AC without another normal diode to prevent them being reverse-voltaged?

Likely, LEDs have a pretty low PIV. My mod would have been a resistor and 1N4007+LED.

Dave.

All sorted now. Got a replacement from my local motor factor shop.
  • ecc83 said:

Some can be a right pig to get out! You might need a special rubber tool (shut up at the back!)

Dave.

Hooray @ecc83! My bulb had blown and wouldn't come out.  Also thanks to @ICBM, I'll take the bulb to the local car spares shop and pick up a replacement.

For all the shit that's been typed in OT and SC recently, (some by me @TTony :) ) it's refreshing to find an answer to a guitar-related problem.  ;)

• I went to a car spares shop near work soon after my last post ^ ^ ^ who had none and I forgot all about it. My wife's car tail light went over the weekend so I popped into the local branch of Lloyd's Motor Spare. While in the queue, I Googled amp bulbsd and found http://amprepairparts.com/lamps.htm had a description and pic. The shop had bulbs for both car and amp - 95p each!
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    I would just take a bulb out of the wifes car and ler her find out later :)