Tone suck [Resolved]

What's Hot
monkaiboymonkaiboy Frets: 27
edited August 2016 in FX
So having built myself a pedal board a while ago (pics to follow, eventually) I finally got round to soldering some patch cables and wiring it all back together. 

Played happily away away for a while before noticing hmmm sounds a bit dull. Plug straight in to the amp and all is good, so sure enough, something is sucking my treble.

Will do some investigation tonight. I guess the possibilities are: cables are the problem, or one or more pedals are doing it. I have a loopswitcher so will do some AB testing with pedals and cables.

Does anyone have helpful suggestions for what is worth checking?

Cheers,
Kai
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    What pedals have you got? Are they all true-bypass?
    You might need a buffer to restore some of the higher frequencies if they are all TB.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27182
    Is everything true bypass? If that's the case then it's just a question of treble loss from the large amount of cable on the board. Adding a buffer (either standalone or a pedal with one built-in) should fix it. 

Alternatively, could be a wah pedal. The bypass on a lot of Voxes and Dunlops is rubbish.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30945
    Buffer.

Get the Effectorde one or the empress.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7089
    It might just be a normal loss of top end from the signal having to make its way through a lot of wiring.  In any case, a buffer should sort it out and is a cheap and easy build.  Fuzzdog's stuff is excellent.

http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Klon_Buffer/p847124_6346591.aspx
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Effect order:  
    CAE Wah -> 
    Empress Compresser -> 
    Skreddy Lunar Module -> 
    Kingsley Minstrel -> 
    Peacekeeper -> 
     Lehle Mono volume ->
    EHX DMM 1100 -> 
    EHX DMM XO -> 
    CT5 -> 
    Neunaber Slate -> 
    Pigtronix Infinity

Buffer huh, good point. Not sure if any of those has a buffer in already - anyone know?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72565
    The Lehle volume pedal is buffered and is just early enough in the chain that it should eliminate normal cable/pedal losses - if it's any of the pedals it will be one before the Lehle, I think.

When you made your cables, did you strip back the black semi-conducting shield layer on the outside of the core insulator so it's away from the end of the core? If not and it touches the terminal, it will cause a partial short and drastic treble loss, sometimes even if there's a buffer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I thought the recommended way to test was to start introducing a pedal at a time and work your way backwards through the pedals? That way you can swap leads etc to find the problem
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    edited August 2016
    ^ you can possibly do it more quickly than that if you're lazy like I am and have a bit of luck (though someone will probably be along in a moment to point out that there's some obvious flaw with this method that I haven't thought of)- if you split your chain in two and try both halves, if you're lucky the problem will only occur in one of the two halves. that means you don't have to try every single pedal.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72565
    That's entirely logical.

It's the same sort of idea behind cutting a broken cable in half if you don't know where along it the fault is and you want to shorten it to fix it. At worst, you'll end up with a cable half as long. OK, at best you also end up with a cable half as long… but the alternative - cutting a few inches off each end until you find the fault - can leave you with a cable a few inches long if you're unlucky and the fault was very near the middle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

When you made your cables, did you strip back the black semi-conducting shield layer on the outside of the core insulator so it's away from the end of the core? If not and it touches the terminal, it will cause a partial short and drastic treble loss, sometimes even if there's a buffer.
    Hmmmm it could be this - I was not aware of that. Let me have a look see.... Thanks all!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    ICBM said:
    That's entirely logical.

It's the same sort of idea behind cutting a broken cable in half if you don't know where along it the fault is and you want to shorten it to fix it. At worst, you'll end up with a cable half as long. OK, at best you also end up with a cable half as long… but the alternative - cutting a few inches off each end until you find the fault - can leave you with a cable a few inches long if you're unlucky and the fault was very near the middle.
    I may well have got the idea from that cable thing you mentioned! =)

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, If you have a really big pedalboard you can keep splitting the pedals in two and that will save a bit of time as well. If you only have 4 pedals, not much point, but if you have 20 that could save a fair bit of additional time.
  • monkaiboy said:
    ICBM said:

Hmmmm it could be this - I was not aware of that. Let me have a look see.... Thanks all!

Well, spent last night opening each patch cable and stripping off the excess shield.

Wired the board back together this morning, switched on, held my breath and.......

.....it's fixed!!!

Thanks so much for the advice, saved me a lot of time frustration....

Cheers,
    Kai
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom