Boss Me-80

redwedgeredwedge Frets: 17
I have and use a Boss ME-80.  THe delays and modulations are great but I find the drives less than convincing.  I am temped tp try a Fulltone Fulldrive in front, possibly after an additional compressor, to bypass this.  Anyone use a similar set up?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

Not the same but I used a Zoom G3 for quite a while with analog drive pedals in front and it worked great.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72566
    I would be interested in the answer to this question :).

If you don't have a Fulldrive already, try a Boss SD-1 first - the Fulldrive is a derivative of it but the Boss is much cheaper and easy to re-sell if it doesn't work right. Some multi-FX work well with pedals in front, some don't.

For what its worth I never got on the with the drives on the ME-70 and 80 - there was one I liked on the ME-50 though, the 'Natural Overdrive' (possibly surprisingly well-named), but most of the others weren't very good either. For some reason the same sound in the ME-70 wasn't as good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I don't see any reason why it wouldn't sound OK.  I haven't tried it, but I have had the ME-80 in the past and just used the onboard distortions and overdrives, which were the reason I got rid of it.  

• I'm not all that familiar with the ME series but I used to do exactly the same with my Vox TonelabLE
    great modulations and delays, but the amp/cab sims were rubbish, once I got my head around that I used to just run the stomp box drives with an SD-1 in the front. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    edited August 2016
    I used to use an SD1 and DS1 into the front of an ME70.

Sounded great but had to watch the gain as the amp at gig volume would squeal (not nice) between notes.