premium tested valves

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15991
is it worth paying an ahem, a premium , for the premium tested valves ya think guys?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The theory is that they find the duds so you won't get one. So that's up to you whether the extra price is worth that.

The grading of drive of valves sounds good. Of sure about the cryogenic idea though.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    It depends what "premium tested" actually means. If they're tested for a good few hours and matched at typical operating voltages/ bias points for a guitar amp then it's a good idea because that weeds out early failures and means that they're matched in the real world.

If it means they use a lower voltage tester then squint at them funny, it's not quite as helpful.

The Cryo stuff makes me laugh. There is some materials science behind the idea that the structure of the metals changes when it's cooled, but I struggle to work out why in the subjective world of music and guitar tone that would automatically equate to better tone.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Cirrus said: The Cryo stuff makes me laugh. There is some materials science behind the idea that the structure of the metals changes when it's cooled, but I struggle to work out why in the subjective world of music and guitar tone that would automatically equate to better tone.
    I think it's only Dr James H Bedford who has (or had) a view on Cryogenics.....

The rest always smacks of snake oil ............like 'high end cables'. YMMV of course. 

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    I bought a premium tested 5751 for an amp that's particularly fussy about which valve goes in V1. Can't find the box buy I think it was tested for gain, transconductance and noise. 

Anyway, valve sounds great and very quiet if that helps. Although bizzarely it seems to be a stronger signal with more preamp gain than the 12ax7 it replaced. Guess it's down to it being a new valve. 

Seller was Karltone on eBay and it was shipped fast with great communications. Would recommend them.