Vuelta a España

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NickL said:
    Long way to go yet, but how are Movistar going to deal with Valverde and Quintana both contesting the GC? Can they support both of them, or will they have to choose one or the other?
    They'll play both cards for now. Once a clear lead in GC is established then the whole team will get behind that leader. Alejandro has shown before that he has no problem in taking up Lieutenant duties to get a Movistar win and I would bet that Nairo would do the same.

I'm still betting on a Sky win for Froomey though.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And that answers that! Awesome ride by Nairo to take the stage and race lead. Excellent tactical ride from Froome though, just going at his own pace to look completely out of it and yet coming back for second.

It's beginning to look very much a 2 horse race now, only without any horses.
  • kurokuro Frets: 26
    Yup, Froome looked cooked then came storming back. It's early days but Quintana is looking good.
  • No repeat of yesterday, Froomey taking Nairo all the way to the line and a brilliant 2nd stage win at the summit of Peña Cabarga, even with a bit of almost track-like cat and mouse heading to the line. Just shows that they seem to be only concerned with each other. Great to see some proper head to head racing by grand tour favourites.

Second overall by 54 seconds isn't looking too bad at the moment considering Quintana himself reckons he needs 3 minutes over Froome going into the Time Trial next week to have any chance.

Still a long way to Madrid though...
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5012
    edited September 2016
    Excellently judged stage win for Conti on the GC's day off, and not a bad day out for Lagutin to swipe the polka dot for what will likely only be a day given that tomorrow is a massive mountainous GC day up to Aubisque, and another on Sunday up to Formigal.

Quintana's best chance to go for time on Froomey for a while, can't see him getting it all his own way though if Sky have anything to say about it. Should be a very attacking last climb. Glad I finish work early enough to get home to catch it.
  • Wow!

Everything Quintana tried Froomey covered, must be a tad demoralised after that.And it looks like Valverde's Vuelta is over losing 9 minutes plus, so Nairo's potentially lost his best support if the reports of Alejandro being ill are true.

Epic ride up Aubisque from Gesink for the win, and Orica showing their GC intentions with Chavez and Yates up to 3rd and 4th. All to play for tomorrow on another huge day in the mountains.

La Vuelta rarely fails to entertain but this year is the Grand Tour that keeps on giving!

And there might just be another little race kicking off tomorrow in Glasgow ;)
  • kurokuro Frets: 26
    Looks like Froomes TT abilities are his ace card here, the pressure is on Movistar to shake him off.
  • Ouch! Sky completely blew that, not paying attention at the start and caught with their pants well and truly down.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if there had been a few overnight phone calls between Movistar and Tinkoff to plan that.
  • Ouch! Sky completely blew that, not paying attention at the start and caught with their pants well and truly down.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if there had been a few overnight phone calls between Movistar and Tinkoff to plan that.
    It's looking tough for Froome now. Well done Tinkoff for coming up with something that worked for them. Movistar were denying any collusion - just saying they decided to go for it as it happened, but who really knows? Very interesting that the four Sky riders right at the back sat up and stopped trying to get up to Froomes group. Joint decision on the ground or orders over the radio to save their legs for another day? 

Maybe we'll find out today!

The race coverage, commentary and analysis of the Vuelta is a million times better than the tired, stodgy rubbish they're putting out for the Tour of Britain. The riders and the event deserve better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

It's looking tough for Froome now. Well done Tinkoff for coming up with something that worked for them. Movistar were denying any collusion - just saying they decided to go for it as it happened, but who really knows? Very interesting that the four Sky riders right at the back sat up and stopped trying to get up to Froomes group. Joint decision on the ground or orders over the radio to save their legs for another day? 

Maybe we'll find out today!

The race coverage, commentary and analysis of the Vuelta is a million times better than the tired, stodgy rubbish they're putting out for the Tour of Britain. The riders and the event deserve better.
    A fairly sedentary sprinter's stage, GC guys just staying out of trouble as usual. Plenty of stuff tweeted and said about the cut-off being ignored from yesterday though. I'm in agreement that to cut almost half the field would have been a bit bonkers from the perspective of the Vuelta as a spectacle, not entirely convinced it was the right thing from a racing point of view - miss the cut, go home slow boy!

2 mountain stages and the TT still to go though so I reckon it's still all to play for, the top 3 still have to prove they have what it takes to end up on the top step on Sunday. La Vuelta never fails to deliver drama to the last.

And totally agree about the coverage of the ToB, Yawn-fest from the commentary team.
    edited September 2016
    Storming time trial for the win from Froomey!

So, with the last of the mountain stages tomorrow before the procession into Madrid Chris Froome has just 1' 21" to make up. Chavez looking to get back a podium place and Contador wanting to secure one could just work against Movistar and Nairo who'll have to do all the work.

Going to hopefully be an awesome penultimate mountain day, we'll see just how close it'll be for that top step...
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Would love to watch it live. Has the potential to be epic if Sky can get their boys to the Aitana. I'll be driving from St Ives to Rotherham though.

Cracking win today. Quintana needs to be mentally strong.  He also needs at least as many teammates with him as Froome when they hit the last climb.
    edited September 2016
    It was a great stage, Quintana was just too strong for anyone else to take him on. Froome tried to attack but Nairo stuck his wheel like a limpet. Very deserved win for the little Columbian after a poor show in the Tour. So it's another 2nd for Froome. Brilliant long range solo effort from Chavez to take 3rd place from Contador as well.

And in other cycling news, Steve Cummings wins the Tour of Britain!