Splawn Quick Rod

DanRDanR Frets: 1041
Anybody on here own one and able to give their thoughts good and bad.

Id try one but Sounds Great don't have any in stock. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've played two and rate them. Great 80s hot rod Marshall that works at whisper volumes with the volume control in the effects loop and sounds great at volume. Don't buy for the clean tone though
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I tried the Nitro on extended test, it was a beast! 

Splawn were here all the rage before people started get hold of Camerons and Friedmans, they're still great modded marshalls.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    edited August 2016
    I'm not too fussed about clean but sounds wise they seem ideal.

Shame I can't find one in the country, soundsgreatmusic are the uk stockist but they don't have any.
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 168

I have owned 2 in the past. Very nice amps - as mentioned above the loop is great and allows you to push the amp harder and control it like a master volume.

The only downsides are - if you liked Gear 1 and Gear 3 for your OD sounds you cannot switch between them. You can switch Gear 1 to Gear 2 or Gear 2 to Gear 3. These are your preamp voicings - then you have OD1 & OD2 - OD 2 is essentially a gain boost. You have a separate Solo control on the front panel which is also foot switchable once set at the desired volume.

There's a significant low end boost on gears 2 & 3 compared to gear 1. At lower volumes it benefits from an OD pedal just to tighten the amp up a little.

It's quite fussy on speakers also. I had a matching 4x12 with Small blocks and I didn't like them. Quite harsh and nasally sounding I thought.

I changed them to a set of 25w Greenback reissues and it was much better. It also likes original G1265's.

I sold mine late last year - otherwise you would have been more than welcome to test it out.

Hope this info helps.

Darren

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    @Darren that's really helpful.

Soundsgreat aren't due any for awhile while the exchange rate is so poor.

The lack of used ones around and difficulty to get new does kinda rule it out.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    i had a Competition and it sounded great but was a pain to dial in, the EQ was not simple like on a Marshall, it was more like a Mesa which did my head in

• karltonekarltone Frets: 50
    edited August 2016
    i had a Competition and it sounded great but was a pain to dial in, the EQ was not simple like on a Marshall, it was more like a Mesa which did my head in
    The QR has the master before the tonestack like some of the 80's modded marshalls which i find are difficult to dial in in my limited experience of them. Though i'm cathode driven tonestack master volume type of guy ;-)
    www.karltone.co.uk    Dealer in Valves and bits and bobs   www.facebook.com/karltonevalves