An odd forum feature

What's Hot
So I'm in the off topic section, hit new post, but the section does not default to the section you are in.
Forget to change the section and you post in the wrong area.
Something to get used to.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    Yeah i mentioned that in feedback. Im not totally convinced vanilla is as way better as phpbb or vbulletin as the guys made out. There's a few little weird things like that.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Just teething problems I'm sure.

I like vanilla.
    My V key is broken
  • It works fine for me.
    Old Is Gold
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28508
    Im not totally convinced vanilla is as way better as phpbb or vbulletin as the guys made out.
    With a new install of phpBB or vBulletin there'd be little glitches too.

The difference with Vanilla is that it's open source and vastly more flexible. The kinds of extra functionality we want to add to the site can be done inside Vanilla whereas they'd be separate with most other options - and then you end up with a site like MR where the forum isn't integrated with anything else.

The site has been running for less than two weeks, and when we opened we made it clear that there would be a cooling off period during which we wouldn't be tinkering, but would be taking note of anything that wasn't right. We'll then start going through the lists of changes - probably bugs first, new functionality and cosmetics second - and put things how they should be.

In the meantime, again, please have some patience.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MickMick Frets: 98

Anything is better than vBulletin IMO.  The navigation is appalling.  Please don't go there.;)

vBulletin is obsolete - there is no reason to use it any more.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    edited August 2013
    Im not totally convinced vanilla is as way better as phpbb or vbulletin as the guys made out.
    No, it's not way better. It's on a completely different planet :).

This is by far the best performing, best looking and easiest to use forum I've been on anywhere on the web. OK, that's not many but none of the others are running this software, and all of them are clumsy and dated by comparison.

The mobile version is particularly impressive, it's not only easier to read at the same time as being easier to navigate on the small screen (all the others do one well and the other badly, whichever way round) but the pages load far faster too, it must just be using less code.

I've found a few little glitches and I'm still occasionally getting frustrated with the quote/edit/embed etc stuff, but that's mainly because it just works in a slightly different way that I'm not used to. Once you get the hang of it it's actually simpler and needs less memorising of code (ie none).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

I've found a few little glitches and I'm still occasionally getting frustrated with the quote/edit/embed etc stuff, but that's mainly because it just works in a slightly different way that I'm not used to. Once you get the hang of it it's actually simpler and needs less memorising of code (ie none).
    Behind the scenes we're putting together the next release, which will fix an awful lot of the glitches. We're also looking longer term at how we can make things like quoting a bit more intuitive - but this will all be properly staged and (even more importantly) pre-tested on a separate development server before we make any of it live.

Not breaking things is the first priority for the site, with fixing things close behind.