Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Musical dreams/ambitions

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Can everybody who has recorded stuff (semi/pro) professionally link to a demo? :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    This was my band's last "single", and our first DIY video which was good fun;

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited August 2016
    joeyowen said:
    Seems we mostly share the same views

Maybe I'll start an album thread as a motivator
    Not a bad idea at all @joeyowen
    I have the "album" ambition too.
    Lots of material -- but you know, not happy with it.
    Start that thread!

• horsehorse Frets: 1569
    Can everybody who has recorded stuff (semi/pro) professionally link to a demo? :)
    our work in progress is linked in my sig - I play various parts on different tracks and am muddling through the production. Please feel free to take a listen :-)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    Finish our next EP before the next tool album drops.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    @PolarityMan so It's a race against the heat death of the universe? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5159
    @thomasross20, here's the last thing I recorded.

https://elizabeth-cornish.bandcamp.com/

(free to listen)

That's me playing all the electric guitar bits and singing the parts that aren't clearly a lady.

This was a big ol' box ticked on the musical ambitions checklist- the band has since split, but we were all really pleased with how this turned out. We'd all been in bands that had recorded demos before, but nothing we had all been quite so invested in, and so pleased with the results of.

It took a lot of work to get this from a very loose jam in a band rehearsal to a finished song (huge credit to Jamie Ward off of Maybeshewill who produced/engineered it).

We initially planned to make a full album, and that's a box I still need to tick, along with playing a gig at a proper top flight venue. I'm not asking for a stadium gig, just the place in your city where the touring bands you've heard of play. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• @english_bob I'll check that out when I get the chance - work have blocked a lot of sites :(

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    To learn a song all the way through...

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26638
    @thomasross20 - here's ours, if you haven't heard it before:

https://closedcircuituk.bandcamp.com/

Violet Nights is the album, Fly Casual is the EP. The album's better than the EP in my opinion - the playing on the EP is ropey at best. Not especially happy with either of them any more, but some people seem to like the album at least...
    <space for hire>
  • I will get round to listening to these - just mega busy and got an all-day wedding to attend tomorrow. 
  • Realistically, I want to be good enough to play in a decent local gigging covers band. I've been out playing regularly at jam nights etc the last year or so; I've taken a step towards that goal if nothing else.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Dreams? Pah, they were knocked right out of me by studying music at Art College 18 years ago. 

I now pray for a dramatic death. Maybe a few more shiny guitars to hang on my wall to never ever be plugged in. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5159
    Deijavoo said:
    Dreams? Pah, they were knocked right out of me by studying music at Art College 18 years ago. 

I used to enjoy drawing. Then I took GCSE art. Hated it. Barely touched a pencil since.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have studied music formally at some point, then I remember GCSE art.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• To have the nerve to play/sing at an open mike night. 
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    Can everybody who has recorded stuff (semi/pro) professionally link to a demo? :)
    Okay - here's my recently finished EP which proves beyond doubt that being deaf will profoundly affect your mixing skills and recording in a barn will not help with this.

https://davenotthecat.bandcamp.com/releases
  • BUMP - I've yet to listen. Sorry guys - life's mental busy right now. 
  • I set myself several goals,

Mid 20s -To play a guitar at least once in front of an audience before I was 30.
    Early 30s - To be in a band of any description
    Mid 30s - To be in a regular gigging band
    Late 30s - To make a proper studio recording rather than a rehearsal in a recording studio
    Early 40s - For my band to play gigs more often and also to play with more musicians than I currently do

So far, all from the Mid 20s - Late 30s have been achieved, so here's hoping. Music is an important part of my life, but it's not a job for me. My goals in music have always been at an achievable level though.
  • My goals in music have always been at an achievable level though.
    If you'll forgive my directness - I'm not sure they are.

You come across as somewhat stage-struck to me....