Travel sickness in valves - PRRI content! :(

camfcamf Frets: 1191
edited August 2016 in Amps
I think every time I've got a new amp sent to me, it seems that it's compulsory that something craps out within the first few weeks. I guess it must just be the physical stress of being bounced around in a courier van but I think it's happened every time I've had an amp couriered to me - although sometimes the dmage has been much worse than in this case!!!

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I got a superb little FSR Princeton '65 with a Celestion Blue from @JDE which was beautifully packed and has been sounding great. However, in the last day or so, it's started making a few sad little pops and spluttering noises and now the volume has dropped dramatically.

Given that it's been fine up until now, I'm assuming that this will probably be valve related. From the symptoms mentioned, any guesses? Preamp, Power or rectifier? The rectifier valve is looking a little bit 'bright' but I wouldn't say it's anything too alarming. Whatever... it looks like it will be on it's way to the good doctor @ICBM for a check up. F'ing valves!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Shame dude. Those are great amps and having them couriered and driven in a car boot never had a problem with vales or anything else. Unlucky I guess :-(
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Yep, it's a fab amp and I'm really pleased with it. And I realise I'm probably just unlucky... but every single time? PITA! 
    So I should have known the absolutely surest way of being certian it's not the rectifier is assertaining that I have two brand new spare rectifier valves. Of course, I still needed to check. Uh-huh... so it's not the rectifier. Naturally.

I have a few spare 12AX7s and maybe even a spare 12AT7, but no spare 6V6s. So what's the odds on the volume drop being a power valve problem?  :s
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72604
    Fairly high. I have some spare 6V6s :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks John. I have a spare pair of matched Harma 6L6s I have no use for - shall I bring these out? Are you around early evening as I don't have the car today... naturally. ;) 
    I can bring the Takamine too for you to cast your expert eye over.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    @camf I'm really sorry man! I'm relieved it wasn't a problem with shipping though. I hope you and @ICBM can solve the issue. Check your PM's later, Cam.
    Not your fault at all @JDE. Perfectly packed amp. Just the hazard of amps travelling to the frozen north. Seems to happen a lot up here. :(