NPD - Keeley Content, not a happy ending - Update a Happy Ending!

What's Hot
peteripeteri Frets: 1283
edited August 2016 in FX
So

As a birthday treat to myself I put a bigish Andertons order in - got a Keeley Monteray, Super Mod Station and Mini-Wah

Hats off to Andertons, quick delivery as usual.

Mini wah is great, bit of a fiddle/different technique to use since it's so small but sounds great. Annoying they put the switch for voicing behind four screws (why do that?) but it's a keeper.

The other two - complete disappointment.

Monteray - looks great, but I was not impressed that the micro switch for the mod source was missing it's nut (so you can push it in), that's not impressive for £240.

Sounds wise, well it needs it's own power supply, I have an isolated supply (MXR Iso brick) - but daisy chain for more outputs. This doesn't share well, unless it's on it's own supply you get a very audible pulse through the amp (from the rotary/vibe I guess), even when the pedal is off.

Apart from that, the modulation section works fine and good - not amazing but good and I like it.

Fuzz, well it's a fuzz - I have to be fair and say I've tried a lot of Fuzz pedals and never keep any, I just don't get on - I love the sound but not when I'm playing!

In this one, for me it's not nasty enough - I could never get it to really gut loose.

So the pedal is ok - but with the switch, clock noise and cost - it's going back.

Super Mod Pedal

Nice small footprint, sounds great too and loads of sounds. I'm not sure I like the switch arrangement - much like the old Line 6 xx4 pedals you kind of need to look at the manual for what the sounds/controls do all the time, but it sounds good and would replace my MXR Micro Flanger and Carbon Copy, saving me some space and giving me tap tempo.

But - if you're playing and engage the mod (say a Flanger or Chorus), you get a very odd sound, rather than the modulated note just being introduced, you hear it fade in - both in volume and pitch. Once it's there it's great, but again for the money that completely winds me up. I've never had this on any pedal before, and sure you can work around it, but why should I?

Hopefully others will find different
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Return them and get something else you do like. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    Clock noise from pedals really pisses me off. 
  • Hmm...wonder if you've got a dodgy example of the Monteray?

I've got one that I'm very happy with and which doesn't have clock noise, although I don't daisy chain my pedals and don't have a daisy chain cable to test it....

Shame to hear you didn't get on with the new pedals as your birthday treat though. Still, at least you can send them back and get some more!
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Thanks all - I agree on the Monteray, it's strange the switch isn't properly finished - almost a Friday afternoon one.

I'll try again tonight before returning both, but the Mod Station is definitely going back.

can't work else what else to buy!

@FreddieVanHalen - doe the microswitch on yours have a nut securing it?

Thanks

Pete
  • @peteri not sure actually, will need to check but I'm fairly sure it doesn't have a nut mounted on the top of the case surrounding the switch. I am sure that the switch doesn't collapse back into the casing when I use it though.

For what it's worth, while I like the Monterey I don't like that little switch, it feels far too fiddly and fragile.

On other things to buy, I'm GASing hard for Chase Bliss pedals right now, might be worth a try on one of those?
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 457
    I had the Caverns for a while and though the build quality was a little fragile tbh
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    Thanks - I've just watched more demos on Youtube, will give the Monteray one more go tonight to make sure and then send it tomorrow if not happy.

Mike Hermans makes it look great, but then he always does ;)

Thanks - Chase Bliss google here I come!

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6097
    I got the Keeley Compressor Pro a while back and i'm very impressed with it. Build quality is excellent and it's a powerful and flexible comp. I thought initially that it was going to a rip off of the Empress which it has a common layout but in fact it's a step up from that one with more compression and big variation in attack and hold available.
    If I had your budget, I'd get a boss waza CE-2 for chorus and neo vent mini for rotary/univibe. 
    Well - humble pie time.

I emailed Keeley support in case it was me and got into an amazing dialogue.

Firstly - the Super Mod, it's a fault, they have a fix available - so are shipping me a replacement pedal, very reasonable and happy with that. Very polite, 'it's a mistake, we support the product'.

The Monterey, he said make sure it really is getting enough current - and that 85ma should be looked at as the minimum.

Rewired the whole board to make sure that it had that and it's own input - and it sounds amazing, completely different fuzz which now sounds like I thought it should.

Clock noise still seems a pain, and it highlights a little bit of non iso in my MXR iso brick - would you believe it messed about with my TC Ditto until I found the right order to plug things in - but got there in the end.

So first class support from a human being and I've got there and I'm happily keeping the pair.

Disappointed with the flimsy switch on the Monterey, it's just fiddly and should have a nut - but I can live with that. Same with the clock noise - can live with it now I've got all wired up ok, and I'm now annoying everyone with bad Woodstock impressions!

Pete

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7795
    Wow. 
    Do you have another supply to try with the Monterey
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    edited August 2016
    Note that a few of these now have board mounted mini switches that don't have nuts. You might find it doesn't actually have a thread on the shaft. Source Audio and Alexander have that type.
    Wow. 
    Do you have another supply to try with the Monterey
    Just took a board disassemble and replan so it was all on it's own with 250m/a supply.

Works great now!
  • vizviz Frets: 10719
    Robert is a dude. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    Always good to hear makers backing there product up with good customer support. This thread had put me off the new stuff now it's made me a bit keener :) well done Mr keeley
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Great to hear it's worked out! Keep rocking!
    Always good to hear makers backing there product up with good customer support. This thread had put me off the new stuff now it's made me a bit keener :) well done Mr keeled
    Completely agree - initially I was disappointed given the price.

But the attitude and response of the service department has been amazing, you'll always get duff units - and they've been nearly as good as Thorpy! (No duff unit from him, just amazing customer service)