Tech21 Flyrig 5 help......!

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
Looking at a Tech 21 Flyrig 5 to solve the following needs:

1.  To plug an electric guitar direct into a PA at a gig - thus avoiding combo/pedal board usage. (But, is it an XLR or 1/4" jack output - cable???)
2.  To plug an electric guitar direct into a speaker cabinet as a home practice amp solution?  (Hotrox thought this would work?) Not sure - although SANSAMP?

Any thoughts from existing users?
thanks for your help.
Jon

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    The guitar flyrig only has a jack output so you would either use a jack to xlr cable or a di box to plug into a mic input on the PA but unless you are using a stagebox that needed xld you could just connect it to the jack input on the desk.

You can't connect direct to a speaker - you would need at least a power amp so you could connect to regular or via the effects return.  The sansamp section will simulate a guitar amp/speaker so you could have that on or off as you prefer but it doesn't provide any power.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

1) it's a 1/4 jack

2) no you need an amp or some sort there is no built in power amp, I used mine in to the FX return of a combo.  The output will drive a set of headphones but I doubt the signal is big enough to drive a speaker

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    thanks - schools out for this one as yet...but helpful Jon
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I like tech21 stuff generally but didn't like the flyrig5. OD wasn't great and generally didn't like the sound. 
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    edited August 2016
    I've got a flyrig RK5.. its the Richie Kotzen flavoured flyrig with the OMG section. 

I got it as a back up rig and as a practice tool at home. 
    I gotta say its pretty good providing you put a bit of time into it coz the little knobs are pretty sensative.
    I've always used a valve amp without pedals coz i prefer amp distortion.  
    I'm old school playing with my guitar volume pot to clean up the signal going into the amp.

I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with the flyrig coz providing you don't drop the volume knob too low, you can get some pretty impressive in between tones.
    It does tits out rock with ease but I'm still experimenting with getting that slightly hairy not quite clean sound.
    As for using it live, I used it straight into the desk ( using a DI box and monitored through my iems) Its a bit alien not having an amp pushing air near by,  but it got me through a cramped tiny gig and the sound man said it sounded fine out front.  
    I used a DI box but if the desk was nearby I could've gone straight into a jack input. 
    At home, I used it with a headphones via a little headphone amp I've got and I gotta say it sounds pretty awesome. 
    The big bonus is being able to practice at home without annoying the neighbours and it so small I can chuck it in the drawer when I've finished playing.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom