AX8 or FX8 w/Amplifire - what would you do

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17615
    tFB Trader
    John_P said:
    mrkb said:
    Amplifire amp modelling is nowhere near AX8 in its capability or sound. Stick to ax8.
    Don't agree with that at all.
    Imo there isn't a lot of difference with the quality of amp tones, especially if you start to add your own IR's.  The AX8 adds a lot more options for tweaking though that can make it easier to get the sounds you want.    If the amp models you want are in the AF then it sounds great.
    Yep agree with that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    Surely the AX8 though is way more versatile ? 

There is literally an infinity of options with pedal assignment, scenes etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17615
    tFB Trader
    Absolutely.

The amplifire has good core tones but horrible UI and far less flexibility.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The new update (v3) added a bunch more FX blocks and some nice new models
    the UI is still like trying to paint your house through the letter box
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    If you see either my Axis or Kotzen go in the classifieds - msg me about the FX8 sir! :)
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    Interesting. 
    Do you AX8 owners miss anything from the FX8? Am I right in thinking you can only have 1 of certain effect types?
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I've had both and the Helix and don't miss anything from the FX8 or the Helix (though the proper A/B is yet to happen with the Helix). 

The fx and amp combinations you can have with the ax8 are probably more than you think because of the xy switching. So one fx block can have two different types of that effect available (although only one at a time). I use this mainly for delays (so I can have a slap back and a solo delay available with just one block) and drives that I'm not stacking (main patch has a TS type drive and a fuzz xy on one drive block). You can even xy switch the amp type. 

Like I say the limitation is that you can only have x or y from any given block at any one point in time, not x and y. 
    @welshboyo....and any other AX8 users
    Any chance of an update on how you're finding the AX8?

Were you able to use your FX8 patches as jumping blocks for your AX8 patches or did you start from scratch?
    Can you use the same amount of effect blocks as on the FX8?
    Do you find you're making use of lots of the amp sims?

Lack of space at home means that my FX8 is only getting aired at rehearsals and gigs, which have been few and far between lately. I've been toying with the idea of an AX8 for a while and like the idea of being able to play through my exact rig every time without having to set up amp, cab, loads of cables every time. 

I appreciate it'll sound different through headphones at home compared to through a FRFR speaker or our PA but at least I'd be using it daily......of course that's my justification for this potential purchase anyway.

Cheers

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Stick with one box.

It will be far too complicated to have two boxes to deal with and control.
    Agree 100%.

FWIW I'm seriously considering getting an AX8 for situations where I need to go direct.

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    @DavusPG ;

I went Helix and have never looked back...
    Wow

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    DavusPG said:
    @welshboyo....and any other AX8 users
    Any chance of an update on how you're finding the AX8?

Were you able to use your FX8 patches as jumping blocks for your AX8 patches or did you start from scratch?
    Can you use the same amount of effect blocks as on the FX8?
    Do you find you're making use of lots of the amp sims?

I went FX8 to AX8 and it meant I more or less knew my way around it - the amp and cab blocks were just extra blocks -   same effects as the fx8 but an extra processor to allow the extra blocks. 
    I have banks set up for different bands - some might only use a couple of amp sims but others use several amps - there are plenty to go at.

Thanks John - yes the draw for the AX8 is I already know the FX8 and have never had any problems with it....I just want to be able to use the thing more. The AX8 would allow that...plus I could try going stereo through our PA to get the full potential of the delays etc
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    As I've already stated, I own both the FX8 (MK1) and the AX8. My name has just come up on the list for the FX8 MK2, but I really can't see the advantages of changing over to the newer version.

I know @welshboyo was disappointed with the MK2 too, and fell out of love with Fractal, which is cool. 

The big advantage of the AX8, and I guess the Helix, is too run two separate feeds (effects, models etc) into two different amps. This has been a fantastic experience with the Rambler/Lazy J combo...
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Both are great (Helix/AX8) its just the Helix was ultimately easier to get and that's what it boiled down to...

Fractal did piss me off a bit with the MK2 sheenanigans, if the unit was 2/3 years old fair enough, but not even a year?....terrible IMO.

With IR's, there is a no quality differences between the Fractal/L6 stuff, just different flavours - delays, reverbs etc are for me on an even playing field, OK, perhaps the Fractal edges it a bit, but for live playing which is my main use I'm not missing the Fractal at all, in fact, I wish I'd held out for the Helix in the 1st place!!!

Ampwise, yes it's great to run modelled preamps into real poweramps and have all of the weirdest/wackiest routing you could ever think of at your feet.

What worries me more is that my beloved Shiva hasn't seen the light of day for over 4 weeks and I am now using a Bose Soundlink (the Ipod thingy) in the house for noodlings etc.