Help making an audio CD ?

Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24367
I have to create an audio CD for my mum's funeral - it will be two tracks, one for the start and one for the end.  I need to have a short fade-in on the start track as it needs to start part-way through the track and I don't need the beginning 2 minutes of the song.

I used to do this stuff all the time, but I've been putting it off as I know it's going to be upsetting to do.  I plan on using Verbatim CDs, burned at 2x speed - I can't afford any glitches.

I seem to have lost the ability to work out what to do, what app to use, how to control the burn speed etc etc.  I'd ideally like to do it on my new Windows 10 work laptop as it's brand new and the CDR drive should be in prime condition.  Failing that, I can do in on my machine upstairs that I used to do music stuff on, but I'm unsure of the state of the CDR drive.

Can anyone give me pointers to something simple that will allow me to create a fade-in, and burn two tracks at 2x speed please ?  My head is empty.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited August 2016
    Are you using a funeral directors?  Have you asked if they can do it for you?  That is what we did with my g/f's mum's funeral earlier this year.  The director also tested the CD at the venue ahead of time to make sure there were no issues.

If you have a DAW (Reaper has a 60 day free trial) you could import the track, create the fade using automation, and export at the length you need.

I don't currently have a CD drive for my computer so I can't make the CD for you, and I'm out of touch with Windows software in general.  I can help with creating a faded track if you want.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7778
    I can do the fade in for you. PM me if so.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24367
    Yes, and yes he wants to test it at the venue asap too, hence my need for urgency.  I shouldn't have left it this long but....

I just cant remember how to do it.  I used to use Cool Edit Pro a lot but I don't remember how to burn... hang on... it's comin back to me... I used to use a specific app - it was all the rage at the time...  what was it ?  It was regularly updated too...  Google time...
  • Audacity is free and can do the stuff you've mentioned. Alternatively, I can have a look at doing it tonight and posting it tomorrow morning if you like?
    Thanks for the offers of help guys but I'm out of time and I want to do this myself.  It's coming back to me now...  I'll use Cool Edit Pro to do the fade in and save them as mp3 tracks then burn them on my new laptop using a trial version of Nero I'm installing now.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Thanks for the offers of help guys but I'm out of time and I want to do this myself.  It's coming back to me now...  I'll use Cool Edit Pro to do the fade in and save them as mp3 tracks then burn them on my new laptop using a trial version of Nero I'm installing now.
    That should do it! Let me know if you're still stuck.
    Ta.  It's amazing how quickly you forget the simplest things when you don't do them for a few years!