Help me compliment my 1987x

What's Hot
djc808djc808 Frets: 8
edited August 2016 in FX
So i picked up a Marshall 1987x the other day for a steal off a friend, it's had the PPIMV mod done and i'm seriously considering it replacing the OR50 as main band amp, which while sounding great, hates pedals except my micro amp.
Dialed in to give a nice crunch tone (AC/DC), I'm looking for a nice OD to really compliment the marshall goodness. Being an OR user for a while, my overdrives slowly left me as the only boost I could use with it was my micro amp plus. This does an ok job at boosting the plexi but im wondering what else people can suggest.

I play punk rock, my clean isnt really clean and would just me the dirty plexi dialed back on the guitar, a mid rhythm from the plexi and a 'full' fat rhythm from an extra boost.

I don't want to just stick a distortion or marshall in a box type deal in front and waste the already nice tone i'm getting.

I'm thinking, Green Rhino (I like the thought of TS with a bit more control), or an OCD. Propably either would be run with the level pushed an the gain just added slightly to taste to give me a full beefy rhythm.

I'll just be using the same simple rig, with the OD replacing my micro amp, so tuner, pharoah fuzz, OD, Memory Boy Deluxe,
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Humbuckers: A BOSS waza SD-1 would do. A gunshot would be great. 

Single coils: A Nobels ODR-1 would be worth a try for fattening. 
  • djc808djc808 Frets: 8
    edited August 2016
    thanks for the suggestions, i can borrow an SD-1 from a friend but it's not the waza.
    And yeah I should have mentioned, with the exception of an LP Jr with a mojotone hot p90, i play my LP traditional with antiquity bridge humbucker
  • Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    edited August 2016 tFB Trader
    I have one of these and it loves pedals.

Any decent overdrive with level and up and gain set lower should produce good results. It is more about how you set the amp controls itself with these types of amp. Plus what inputs you use. 

Also, depending on how you set it up you could look into the treble bleed cap mod. Makes it more pedal friendly. Particularly at lower volumes.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    SD-1. There's a real magic to these with a proper Marshall.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Seems from what you say this would compliment your tone...

http://www.wizardfancydress.co.uk/1755-thickbox_default/schoolboy-costume.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Punk rock with pedals. 
    You should be ashamed....... ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    I'm pretty sure Steve Jones used an MXR Distortion+ into a Fender Twin, both cranked :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • djc808djc808 Frets: 8
    edited August 2016
    Punk rock with pedals. 
    You should be ashamed.......
    haha that's why I want to avoid just wacking a plexidrive marshall in a box or similar infront. I want to get everything i can out of the amp, then just give it a helping hand. 

Taking it along to our lockup today and have a boss sd-1 i've managed to borrow. If that does the trick for me i'll deffinatly look into the waza version. Also lent me a plimsoul i'm going to run with the gain down and level up and prehaps add in a little gain if needed. Not so much after a huge gain boost, just a little more balls. 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Tell it that it's beautiful???
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If the sd1 does the trick, don't get the waza as it's clear the standard, er, does the trick! 

Try a ds-1 too. Sd-1-ds1 - Marshall at gig volume (not bedroom!) is really quite something. You could get satriani/vai style leads. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    If the sd1 does the trick, don't get the waza as it's clear the standard, er, does the trick! 

Try a ds-1 too. Sd-1-ds1 - Marshall at gig volume (not bedroom!) is really quite something. You could get satriani/vai style leads. 
    Vai and Satriani style leads for punk rock?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    meltedbuzzbox said:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Super hard on/box of rock. 
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Get it a super hard on and then compliment it on its super hard on. 
  • If the sd1 does the trick, don't get the waza as it's clear the standard, er, does the trick! 

That'd break all the rules. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    If the sd1 does the trick, don't get the waza as it's clear the standard, er, does the trick! 

That'd break all the rules. 
    you mean like buying a Les Paul with a short neck tenon?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.