guitar neglect

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3324
    Cheers for the replies chaps. The Guitar in question is a cobain mustang, very lite,easy to play,stays in tune and is genuinely a joy to play. I don't particularly like it's colour but that doesn't stop me from wanting to pick it up and play it every chance I get. The neglected pile includes a cobain jaguar, PRS EG4, a Sid Poole westone Cutlass and a schecter Shaun Morgan,oh and a beat up strat copy I learnt on. I have no reason to sell any as I don't need the money for bills etc but on the otherhand I have zero gear fund and would like another valve head.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebob said:
    ..but on the otherhand I have zero gear fund and would like another valve head.
    Sounds like you've got an upcoming GAS bill to me!
  • Don't sell your first guitar!

Other than that, how about a bit of herd thinning? A couple of those gone and you could afford a really good amp.  You wouldn't need to get rid of the lot, just choose one or two perhaps.  

• I tend to flit back and forth for a few months at a time. It doesn't help that 3 of my 4 electrics are variations on the strat, one sss, one hs and one sss with a hot rails in the bridge, so it's not much of a dramatic change (so less of an incentive to do it!). I'm going to sell one of them though. it would be great if i had the room to have them all out on a rack, then i probably would play them all a lot more often.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    grungebob said:
    ..but on the otherhand I have zero gear fund and would like another valve head.
    Sounds like you've got an upcoming GAS bill to me!
    Can we have a 'Groan' button next to the 'LOL' one?  :D
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited January 2014
    I can't own guitars (or amps / pedals for that matter) that I don't use, I always try to keep things trim. The thing for me though is that I do need a little variety to keep me fresh. For example, my Midtown may go a week without being touched and I look at it and think maybe I should move it on, then I pick it up one day and really get into it and play nothing else for a week and my Strat sits there unloved. Most of the time though I just pick the guitar to suit my mood, they are all out of cases and within reach (that's important for me).

I have 4 electrics and each one brings out a different part of my playing. I don't do overlap though, I.e I love Strats but I'm happy with one great one, one that you get to bond with.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    usedtobe said:
    All the big rock stars have literally 100's of guitars that they never play. You've got how many? Half a dozen? A dozen? I say keep them. You'll play them all again, at some point.
    When you have load of dosh, and can spend it on things that are tax deductible, you would too.

Guitars are essentially either luxury items to collect, or tools to be used. Thinking of it like that you can have however many you want, or however many you need or any point in between.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Don't sell your first guitar!

back in the day, you had to, or you couldnt afford your second
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited January 2014
    any 'lower spec' gear I have would never make any real difference to helping fund the ridiculously expensive stuff I now only have eyes for, so may as well enjoy seeing all their smiling faces around me each day...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    bertie;126363" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Oh man :( that would break my heart.
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
    Richardj said:
    Having been through a lot of different guitars in the past few years I have now settled on the 'one of each' principle.  Some tunes just sound better if you play it on a Strat rather than a Lester and vice-versa.  Greedy or not, I have a Strat (OK two), a Tele, A Lester and now an SG.  Sorted!

+1 wisdom!   I feel the same way, I gots to have my Strat, my Tele, my Firebird, my SG, my Ibby, and my LP-alike.   Fine, I own FOUR Strats... guess I'm greedy, too lol!

I was kicking around the idea of selling some off to thin the herd- and raise $$ to buy that Firebird.  Making the decision was brutally hard- I like them all. If anything, I'd trade one in for another- like I did with my Schecter Raiden bass.  (traded it for my Omen!)  Besides, the ones I wouldn't miss aren't worth anything.

Fortunately, Santa cane through for me this year and I was able to pay cash for a brand new 2013 Firebird.  Solving the dilemma of which child I'd have to sell off.

As for usage, it depends.  An impulse purchase may or may not become the golden child for a time.  If it's something I've lusted after for a while, like my new Firebird, then yes- the others languish in obscurity whilst I enjoy this one!

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I think that many people who own a lot of guitars are actually on a search but don't  realise it. Bono tried to give them a hint but they didn't notice.
    There are people who actually need several different sounds (but don't want a modelling guitar). If you do sessions, or if you are in a Wedding Band, I am not going to give you an argument.
    But for the rest of us, I think there may be one great guitar out there for you..

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    bertie;126363" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Oh man :( that would break my heart.
    Kids today - don't know they're born..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• LukeageLukeage Frets: 35
    I would say I have neglected my Les Paul Studio. The only real reason for that though is that it needs some work. Dirty pots, pickup selector switch needs rewiring etc. needs a darn good clean, a bit of a fret polish-up, needs a new nut fitting. I will get to it! I wouldn't want to throw that guitar out or sell it. It's actually, for an Epiphone, one of the most beautiful examples of an LP Studio I've come across. The grains in the wood come through really nicely on it - better than some of the Gibson equals I've seen. Plus a lot of LP Studios from Epiphone at the time had the dot inlays as opposed to the trapezoids, but I've got the trapezoids and it looks even nicer that way!
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    You know what though, I reckon having a guitar you don't play regularly sitting in a case is better than those guitars that are bought purely as a collectors pieces that have never been played. 

Seems sad that a musical instrument gets bought, and never actually gets to be used.  I've seen this many times on listings for (especially Gibsons!) where something like a Pearly Gates has been bought just for display.  I know it's different for a delicate or vintage instrument, but brand new guitars bought purely for investment or display just seems a shame.

If you're not going to play it, and you just want to look at it, you may as well buy a Chinese knock off.