Guitars with two strap buttons on the bottom - pro's and con's?

What's Hot
Having never owned a Tom Anderson or Schecter guitar with the two strap buttons on the bottom, I wondered if there were any real advantages? My initial thoughts were that if it was such a good idea then all manufacturers would be doing it, but a mate down the pub reckoned it would change the strapped on feel of the guitar and might make it hang more comfortably.

Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative? Is it worth considering if you are building or spec'ing a custom instrument? And what do you do with respect to straplocks?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24858
    edited August 2016
    The idea is to make the guitar more stable when (say) propped against an amp - so on the face of it - a good idea.

This probably sounds really illogical - but my only real objection is it just looks wrong....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27437
    It makes them balance differently on a strap, in terms of the lateral rotation - either the top of the guitar tips away from you or towards you. That's not necessarily a bad thing; it depends on the person playing it 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    I have them on my Schecter, I find it a bit awkward really as I often use the same strap but it needs adjusting when going to this guitar. It's a small annoyance though. I guess I would neither seek out a guitar specifically with this feature, nor be put off by one with it.

I certainly wouldn't spec it on a new build.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    I have had them on a few guitars including early Schecters. Their obvious main advantage is that you can lean your guitar against an amp or wall and not worry about it falling over. It's useful on small stages where there's no room for a guitar stand. On a strap I've never found it to feel any different to a centre button but, as @dindude says, you can't use one strap for all guitars if the button position varies.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72821
    I don't like it. I find the guitar hangs oddly on the strap whichever button you use, even if you have one the right length so it's the same height it would normally be.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, I'm with ICBM. It feels odd to me. It LOOKS odd to me. 

Plus, I wouldn't dream of propping a guitar up against a wall or amp! 

Other than that I'm a big fan 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33871
    I like it, and can adjust fine between Anderson and regular buttons.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3340
    edited August 2016
    I have them on my Custom Schecter and was told that one of their uses was for making the guitar stable when propped up against something, but 9 times out of 10, I'll always opt for a stable stand or lie it flat.

As to the 2 strap positions, I like them and don't find them a hindrance at all. The guitar feels comfortable in both positions but if I'm honest, it's more for the look as whereas I'd normally have my guitar slightly higher when playing more rhythm and funk stuff and slightly lower (covers my paunch too) when playing rock, this way, I can keep the strap at the same length but just pick one of the 2 strap buttons instead. The tilt angle for me is just right.

It was the same when I had a Tom Anderson Drop Top and the guitar always felt comfortable.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    Like Oct I have no problem switching from my Anderson to any of my other guitars.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6402
    No issue at all. My Anderson is still the comfyest guitar I have (I use the "top" button)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TitchTitch Frets: 46
    I have no problem with them on my Schecter Custom I use the bottom button as it seems to sit right on the strap,but hey I'm a short arse hence the moniker! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The top button is better for standing playing rythm a long time and throwing shapes. The bottom button gives you a better position for shreddy lead. 
  • Done it for years on my tele, much prefer it. 
  • shamus26shamus26 Frets: 67
    I used to dislike it,but when I realised that you can stand your TA up against a table or an Amp with no chance of it falling over I soon learned to love it and I think it's a brilliant innovation and an excellent bit of outside of the box thinking from Anderson guitarworks.