The top 5 ODs/Distortions you've ever tried.

What's Hot

Comments

• mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Angry Charlie
    boss Od3
    EP boost set to overdrive the amp
    ts808 tubescreamer in a band (but didn't like it at home alone)
    SL drive was fairly monstrous !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited August 2016
    Don't have a Top 5 but The J Rockett Archer is good

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited August 2016
    I happen to have 5 OD/Distortions. Here they are in order of preference/usefulness plus some comparisons with other pedals.

(1) and (2) are currently in my pedal board.

1) Maxon OD9 (Tubescreamer): The OD pedal I use the most which works best for most things in a band context, even though it's not as impressive as other pedals in isolation. I could get by easily with just this pedal.

2) Angry Charlie v2 (I haven't tried the v3): This is my most recently purchased pedal which I've had for about a year and used for numerous gigs as well. I got it because I wanted something a bit more full on. I compared loads of pedals at Andertons including a Wampler Pinnacle, Suhr Riot, Xotic BB but preferred the Angry Charlie. This pedal sounds impressive in isolation and in a band context, used sparingly for occasional sustaining lead and shred. I think it might become wearing if used too often in a set.

3) Maxon SD9: I got this before my OD9, after Scott Henderson raved about it. But I couldn't get the full-on sound to work for me. I use it on minimum OD and it gives a nice glassy crunch. I'd have this in my pedal board as well, but it won't fit.

4) Boss OS2: I've had this for many years and it's my oldest OD pedal . I only use it with the colour knob hard over on the OD end of the scale. It definitely doesn't sound impressive in isolation, but it works really well in a band context and occupies a nice frequency slot that cuts through without dominating the overall sound too much. A good all rounder. I carry this as a spare.

5) Fulltone OCD v4: This sounds great in isolation. It's my second oldest drive pedal and I remember trying loads at the time. But I've never been able to make it work in a band context, because it's too mid scooped. The important frequencies get lost in the mix and it just ends up sounding thin. So it's my least useful OD/distortion pedal.  I still hang on to it, because it might fit with something I do one day, given that it sounds good in isolation.

It's not a competition.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    Rat
    Liquid Sunshine
    Crowther Hotcake
    Valvesporker
    Alembic Stratoblaster (strat pre-amp cloned and put in a stompbox)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    In no order.

Goosoniqueworx 7thvn - super amp like, hi gain, yet low noise
    Marshall Guv'nor mk1 - still a Marshall in a box
    Pro Co RAT - That 90's alt sound
    Boss SD-1 - Great all rounder
    J Rocket 10 Ton Hammer- Amazing tones, similar to 7thvn, but noisier & powder coating comes off.
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    Tough question. 
    Probably...
    Xotic BB MB
    Vallette Custom Drive
    Nady TD1
    Mark L Jazzy drive
    Keeler Pull 

• downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited August 2016
    Hoochee Mama - now using a juansolo clone but sounds the same - lovely cooking od. 

Klon Centaur - now using a juansolo clone but this is an essential, always on, last in chain, controlled by guitar volume. 

Rodenberg GAS827 - ultimate tube screamer. 

Mooer Cruncher - lovely snarl when I need it. 

Cream Tone - should have kept it but kept getting pushed out by all of the above. 

Honourable mentions (because I like what other people have done with them ): 

free the the tone MS SOV special
    Wampler  Paisley Drive

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Boss DF-2
    Boss OS-2
    Boss SD-2
    Boss DS-1
    Boss SD-1

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    Rat TS DOD 250 Boss OD3 Black Russian Muff
  • Sd1, Mz2, V-Twin, Guv'nor, Fuzzface. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5280
    RYRA Klone
    KOT
    Kingsley Page
    VL Effects OD One
    VL Effects JimiFace turned down (lovely OD tones)
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3028
    edited August 2016
    Paul Cochrane Tim
    Zoom Ultrafuzz
    Arion SOD-1 
    Marshall Guv'nor Mk1
    Marshall Shredmaster

i liked my Mooer Hustle drive as well just until it decided to go all melty and die.

i find all these very situation dependant though.

The Tim is great at gig volumes and is pretty much all I need on my board going into a clean JCM800.  At quiet home volumes I found it a bit dull and gritty.

The Guv'nor needs a big 'open sounding' amp like a jcm 800 or twin reverb.  It can sound very boxy in a smaller more congested sounding amp.

The Shredmaster is opposite the guvnor really, it gets really bass heavy and boomy into big amps but works best IMO in clean combos with 10 inch speakers. In that situation the excess bass really helps.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Thorpy Peacekeeper
    Thorpy Warthog
    Suhr Riot
    Mad Professor 1
    Carpe Diem

although not strictly in this category, I must also mention the Koko Boost and EP Booster for their sheer awesomeness
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    That's a tricky question, but amongst my favorites:

Subdecay Liquid Sunshine - Low gain make everything sound better pedal
    Marshall Shredmaster - Prefer it to the Guvnor for extreme rock hugeness
    MXR Super Badass - Awesome versatile distortion
    Boss OD3 - Underrated for driving a clean amp
    Wampler Velvet - Great fuzz solo hugeness into a clean amp.

Should also give honorable mentions to Thorpy Peacekeeper and Fallout Cloud 

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    My list has always been small, but I've been able to try quite a few new pedals in the last month..

1) JRAD Tim Pierce OD - This is the best OD pedal I've ever owned. Requires you to want your sound from hitting the amp hard. Bit like a Zvex super duper 2 in 1 but more refined and more control. Also an amazing always on pedal
    2) Ehx Soul food, It's been on my board for 3 years. Great at pushing and thickening an amp for lead boost
    3) Gurus 1959 DD, very new to me, so still in the honeymoon phase. but an all singing, all dancing preamp pedal
    4) Zvex super duper 2 in 1
    5) JRAD Rocket, sounds really nice if you can dial it in with your amp and guitar, seems to work better with some combinations than others. 

Not really an overdrive, but the Skreddy Lunar module is an awesome fuzz that functions like an OD and would go to place 2.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Vick Audio 73 Rams Head
    Lovepedal Les Luis
    Palmer Solid Metal
    Top Tone DG1
    Carpe Diem
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Klon klone (I'll take the Tumnus)
    KOT
    SD-1 (preferably the Waza)
    Hudson Broadcast
    Rat
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    edited August 2016

Customtones Ethos Overdrive: Does the D*mble ODS sound very well but is far more flexible in the range of OD sounds available. The Boost setting, whilst being uncomfortably middly in isolation, ensures that solos punch through a ham-fisted and heavily distorted rhythm guitar.

Wampler Tumnus: My favourite of the Klon clones.

An original 1964 Roger Mayer fuzz. Gorgeous fuzz tone. Now sadly deceased.

J Rocket Blue Note Tour Series: Ridiculously transparent low-gain OD. For those times when you want your pure guitar tone with an edge but no colouring.

Not a pedal but the Digitech 2112 rack-mounted multi-effects unit I used with a Control 1 pedalboard through much of the nineties has excellent valve and solid state ODs/distortions.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    Mk1 Guvnor
    Distortion+ (modded by RaygunFX, probably does od250 sound as well, bass boost)
    DBA Fuzz War. Everything you want a muff to be 
    Wren & Cuff Box of War. For when only a muff will do. 
    SS/BS Buzz. Like an od/fuzz toolbox. Grit, octave, glitch, huge bass, it's all in there
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9560
    KOT
    MP Simble
    Analogman NKT White 275/ Wampler Velvet
    PTD Mini Bone/Rotobone
    Bearfoot SYOD