Ibanez Values?

RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
Seems to be a bit of disparity in Ibanez prices at the mo.  I'd really like to get another one, preferably a Prestige S or RG and cannot really work out what prices they should be.  There seems a lot of range in the high end models.

In particular I have been offered a trade of my Musicman Silhouette Special for an RG 2620CBK, which is a Team J Craft and allegedly a limited run. but I just don't know what it's really worth.

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    I'm not that well up at all on s/h values but i can't imagine that that ibanez is worth as much as your musicman. that's basically an rg 2xxx series (which is probably a nice guitar, don't get me wrong, the MIJ ibanez stuff is normally pretty nice), while yours is a musicman. basically the ibanez has a fancy finish but it also has the ibanez/dimarzio pickups which generally aren't as sought-after. It's your call, obviously, but personally I wouldn't care less if it's limited or not, especially if I were expected to pay more.

Just looking at new values, the 2xxx ibanezes seem to be sitting around £1000 currently (and you can get similarly-specced models for actually under £1000 which are also MIJ/Prestige e.g. the 655) while the silhouettes i've seen are more like £1500. For that reason alone I'd be iffy about the trade.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

Resale values on Ibanez are really poor! I know first hand and have seen it again and again. But if you're buying used you can get a real bargain - an Ibanez around £1k or more can be snaffled for £3-400. Sig models fair a little better..but still not great. A minter JS1000 can be snaffled for around £650...sometimes slightly less. Less so if its a beater natch. Jems - a grand all day for one excellent - mint.

Seems only Gibson and Fender really have decent resale values. That's sheep for ya though.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    siraxeman said:

Resale values on Ibanez are really poor! I know first hand and have seen it again and again. But if you're buying used you can get a real bargain - an Ibanez around £1k or more can be snaffled for £3-400. Sig models fair a little better..but still not great. A minter JS1000 can be snaffled for around £650...sometimes slightly less. Less so if its a beater natch. Jems - a grand all day for one excellent - mint.

Seems only Gibson and Fender really have decent resale values. That's sheep for ya though.

Even then it has to be a particular Gibson or Fender. There's quite a few standard USA Strats for £500 in the classifieds, the 2016 instruments have rrp's of £1300. The Custom Shops strats seem to start at £2.5k 'new' and rise to over £4k for something that looks completely fucked. Ebay sold prices suggest £1400 is the ball park. It seems that used guitars regardless of their name plate are about 50% at best of their new RRP with some exceptions.

Gibson LP Customs have a staggering RRP of £3400 yet you'd do well to get half that used.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

50%+ of new value used is decent! Ibanez is more like a third of the new price for used!

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1803
    Is it not a fact that part of Gibson and Fender brand building is to constantly increase prices a little ahead of inflation and to throw out each year a good 20-30% hike over last years model which raises the brands price perception. Even if they discount later in the year. Where I am never shocked at the prices of Ibanez in fact often build quality and standards seem to be better value for money.