Modding a Gibson Midtown due to Les Paul tone overlap...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    edited September 2016
    rlw said:
    Has anyone tried the Irongear HB sized P90s?  They seem to get very good reviews and are dirt cheap too.

I really fancy some in my LP Studio.
    I recently modded my son-in-law's Kramer (sort of LP Junior thing) with an Irongear Alchemist in the neck position and an Oil City HB size P90 at the bridge. Now, obviously not comparing like with like here and there is a big price difference, The Irongear sounded great, just as you'd expect from a neck position P90. The Oil City is in a different class, slightly higher output and a much more complex sound. Both good p/u's but you get what you pay for with the OCP. The Irongear is fantastic value though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think a Gold Foil would be a really good choice for the neck pickup.  

For the bridge pickup if you want something a bit different a Supro Valco Vista repro or a HB sized Wide Range could give some nice variety. 

(All made by Mojo Marc).
  • suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 396
    edited September 2016
    rlw said:
    rlw said:
    Has anyone tried the Irongear HB sized P90s?  They seem to get very good reviews and are dirt cheap too.

I really fancy some in my LP Studio.
    Funny enough, i put some in my junior this week, first impression is that the're very good indeed.
    Interesting.  Let us know more.
    Well, as expected due to the positioning the neck and bridge are quite different, with the neck  seeming more powerful and more bassy but the bridge sounds much thinner but in a good way.
    The previous pickups were too hot for me, but these have real nice punk/rock sound especially with overdrive.
    For 90quid or so all in, i'm happy, and the nickel covers look better than the original black open gibsons.
    [IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/33v2bmv.jpg[/IMG]
    http://i65.tinypic.com/33v2bmv.jpg
  • Just put in a set of Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queens today (acquired in a trade) and I am very impressed.

Any advice on the height I should set them?  It's only the second time I've had P90s.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent