Tell me about the TC G System!

What's Hot
jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
im unlikely to make any more big purchases while this house sale/ relocation malarkey is happening, but I'm starting to notice how much tap dancing I'm doing in our bands set. The idea of really high quality effects that I can integrate with my distortion pedals seems rather appealing. Any owners out there? What's good, what's bad? Can it do 2 delays together etc etc?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    It's OK but I found it quite noisy in terms of ambient noise.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I didn't suffer with noise when I used one, but I did run a decimator in one of the loops for patch with a lot of gain.

Pros - I think it sounds good, effects are great,  using loops to add pedals or your amps preamp in 4cm all work great, midi is useful,  really solid and well made. 
    Cons - Editing isn't as obvious as other multifx,   occasionally I found a few things needed tweaking - like loop settings,    iirc you can only run one delay line but there are stereo delays you can have separate settings for each side that might cover that - or put a delay in a loop and if it has midi let the G switch it. 

At the prices I've seen some  go for they are a bargain but it's long overdue that TC updated it to include a few more fx options and better editing.    Things like the FX8 from fractal have moved the game along.

tbh if you already have nice pedals I might be tempted to get a loop switcher to reduce the tap dancing. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Thanks @John_P tbh I had thought of that, but then if I did buy a loop switcher & a more sophisticated delay pedal. I think that might be the equivalent spend of a G system used. 

I need to have a rethink maybe ?
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    I used one for about a year before ditching it.
    I loved the quality of the effects and the fact you could detune to save our singers voice but I also had to jump through hoops to make it all work with my Marshall amp using the four cable method. 
    I got into the mindset of having spent a lot of money on buying the TC that I had to make it work no matter what it took. 
    The deciding factor for me to ditch it, was when the power tripped at a gig, the TC just froze up and stopped working. 
    To get through the gig I just plugged my guitar straight into the amp.
    What a difference, it was like opening a door and walking into room where the amp was. It had more life and depth of sound. So much so I decided that digital sound wasn't for me and sold the lot.
    I've noticed the same thing with some cheap Chinese pedals, they suck all the life out of the amp. 
    Other guitarist thrive on all the shiny gadgets and flashing LEDs but Ive come to the conclusion that I'm a Luddite and providing I use a good guitar plugged into a good valve amp, I can live without all the bells and whistles. I can't be doing with piles of pedals on the floor, but at the same time the thought of multi effects with sub menus leave me cold. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I like them
    but big and heavy
    the tones are pretty top drawer though and you can loop your favourite drives in
    its a bit of a footer to program but most of them are apart from the Helix
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BensonBenson Frets: 242
    I had one, sold it and then went Fractal. Fiddly to set up and get unity gain, always running too hot or tool cool which screwed up my amp tone. Footswitches were incredibly noisey too. Looked pretty. 
  • Was good for its day but it's seriously outdated now. Also not at all transparent, it'll definitely effect the tone of your amp, especially in 4cm.

The effects do sound great though, delays are awesome.

I use a Helix now instead, it's a million times better, but also way more expensive.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I think all the TC stuff from that era has the same sound, and it's not at all transparent.

I've owned almost all the Novas and sold them pretty quickly, only tried the G system and to me it was the same - like you can hear the conversion