Ageing polyester guitar

mark123mark123 Frets: 1333
I know I know strip it and refinish with nitro ..or you will have to wait 99 years for a poly finish to age but I'm after a faded finish someone on our parish ,possibly stickyfiddle on the old music radar site done it to a vintage sunburst epiphone sheraton it looked matt and faded I think he used a t.cut compound or I may be wrong anyhow it looked great..also want to dull the neck down ..green part of a dish pan scourer?any tips welcome 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27569
    edited August 2016
    I remember the guitar you're thinking of but it wasn't me that did it. I have @jonnyburgo in mind but I don't know if it was him either.

The method was wire wool then T-cut iirc
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11698
    tFB Trader
    If you want the colour to fade you wont get that by flatting it back really - ultraviolet is what you need - assuming that the stains they used will fade at all 
    Certainly flatting back with wire wool - or a grey scotchbrite pad - often easier will dull the shine on the finish 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited August 2016
    0000 wire wool, or scouring pad if you're looking for an easy option.

If you do use wire wool, remove the pickups first.

This will dull the finish, akin to being matt.