Gibson Les Paul Studio 50s or 60s Gold top with p90s - going rate and any good?

saxosimsaxosim Frets: 69
edited August 2016 in Guitar
Hi All

I wondered if anyone has tried a Les Paul studio 50s or 60s tribute with p90s and are they any good?

Also what's the going rate for a used one in the UK?  Does anyone have one for sale?

I have been hankering for a cheapish entry into the goldtop market with p90s and just wondered about these as they look pretty nice.

Any advice really appreciated, here is the sort of thing I am after.

I was considering an epiphone Les Paul 56 gt for about £200 which I would upgrade but I think I am probably best just putting the extra cash towards a studio instead?  Was thinking around £500 budget would I get one?

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/18560/Gibson-Les-Paul-60s-Tribute-Electric-Guitar-Worn-Goldtop---Used/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    i thought its only the 50s series that has p90s?

They are great guitars and have lovely necks and great for the money

in gold they tend to be more expensive. The market is all over the place though at the moment, pricing is tricky

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • saxosimsaxosim Frets: 69
    edited August 2016
    Thanks yes I thought that too but the 50s ones I see tend to have humbuckers and I want p90s this time.  I very briefly owned a 70s tribute GT but didn't like the browner gold tint or the volute and wider headstock.

Yes prices seem to be all over its strange 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    How much are you looking to spend?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12700
    I have a 50s GT with p90s. The early ones are a cut above, the later ones are OK but definitely have cheaper woods in them.

Mine sounds epic. I adore it. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• The current 50's has humbuckers in.
    cant speak for the p90's but the 50's goldtop tribute is very good.
    Thanks guys, @Jack_ I don't know I was thinking around £500 would that buy me one?
  • milambermilamber Frets: 118
    I bought a 2016 60's tribute with P90's in Amazon's Prime Day sale. It was well made and well finished, sounded fine too, but just didn't suit me. As for price, I paid £400, give or take a few pence and rather than automatically return it to Amazon thought I'd pass the deal on to someone else, considering that £400 was a steal. Advertised it here, then on Gumtree and Pre-loved and didn't get anyone interested, even at £400 brand new. So, yes, you should easily be able to get one for £500, but don't pay too much as you won't get your anything like your money back if you decide you don't like it after all. If you aren't in a hurry, Amazon's Black Friday is in November and if it's anything like last year will be bursting at the seams with Gibsons.
    Thanks @milamber that's useful info and it sounds like my thoughts of £500 are reasonable.