Does eBay block messages?

What's Hot
Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
edited August 2016 in Guitar
Does eBay block messages that hint at completing the deal outside of eBay to avoid seller fees?

Do they flag messages with keywords or anything along those lines?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7408
    Yes, but it tells you its done it.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    DefaultM said:
    Yes, but it tells you its done it.
    Would blocked messages show up in your sent messages folder?
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    If they are blocking the message it just doesn't let you send it, so I wouldn't think it would get as far as your sent mail box.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    The ebay app on my iphone failed to notify me of an offer and message the other day, none of which mentioned dealing outside of ebay. However, it was an amp I'd listed as "cash on collection only". Conspiracy...?
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited August 2016
    bbill335 said:
    The ebay app on my iphone failed to notify me of an offer and message the other day, none of which mentioned dealing outside of ebay. However, it was an amp I'd listed as "cash on collection only". Conspiracy...?
    Reason I ask is because I've sent quite a few messages in the past few days and haven't had any replies.

Even a guy I'm trying to arrange collection with for an auction I won isn't replying.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9672
    edited August 2016
    Yes it does... BUT

If you avoid typing email addresses or mobiles, you can speak in code, and beat the system.

Eg.) contact me on myemailatappledotcom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    >>>> contact me on myemailatappledotcom  >>>>>>>>this DOESN'T WORK!!!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29014
    I arranged an off-ebay deal via ebay messages so their filters aren't too smart.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Yes they do. If you send too many "outside of ebay" offers, they will block you from contacting people. It has happened to me. One way around it is to not include the £ sign in your negotiations, just type the number.

They will also block email addresses but will openly tell you about it. An easy work around for that is just to attach a "photo" with your email address on it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes they do. If you send too many "outside of ebay" offers, they will block you from contacting people. It has happened to me. One way around it is to not include the £ sign in your negotiations, just type the number.

They will also block email addresses but will openly tell you about it. An easy work around for that is just to attach a "photo" with your email address on it.

I've done that several times on snapchat, but received very different 'offers'
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom