Anyone tried Curt Mangan acoustic strings?

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4307
They do a 12.5-55 set that interests me but they'd need to be really good for the price. Anyone tried them (either this or other gauge sets)?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    No - but 'half' gauges strike me as a monumental PITA as they are not widely available from retailers.

Truth is a gauge lower (or higher) can soon be adjusted to and will be readily available from any store if you happen to need a set in a hurry.

From a quality perspective, as long as strings are 'decent', the brand is not that important.

I've used D'Addarios almost exclusively for 20 years and see no reason to opt for something more obscure/less available.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4307
    I haven't walked into a retailer and bought a set of strings for getting on for 10 years.... I buy online and order more when I get to my last few sets, so availability really isn't an issue. 

With regards adjusting to different gauges from a playability point of view I quite agree, but some guitars like some gauges better than others and it would appear from playing around with Martin 4150s which are 12.5-55, both my OM and my Dreadnought both sound and feel really good with those gauges. Only having to have one type of strings for both guitars is a big plus so I'm just looking around to see who else makes a similar set, as my experience is that Martin strings sound pretty good but not as good as some other makers (D'Addario, DR Handmade, Newtone to name a few). It seems only Curt Mangan does so far. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    Lewy said:
    I haven't walked into a retailer and bought a set of strings for getting on for 10 years.... I buy online and order more when I get to my last few sets, so availability really isn't an issue. 

With regards adjusting to different gauges from a playability point of view I quite agree, but some guitars like some gauges better than others and it would appear from playing around with Martin 4150s which are 12.5-55, both my OM and my Dreadnought both sound and feel really good with those gauges. Only having to have one type of strings for both guitars is a big plus so I'm just looking around to see who else makes a similar set, as my experience is that Martin strings sound pretty good but not as good as some other makers (D'Addario, DR Handmade, Newtone to name a few). It seems only Curt Mangan does so far. 
    Sounds like you've answered your own question!
    Lewy said:

Sounds like you've answered your own question!
    Had my question been "has anyone tried 12.5-55's" you'd be right, but that's not my question. My question is has anyone tried Curt Mangan strings, because I might try their set of the same gauges to see if they sound better than the Martins, but I'd be interested in any 1st hand opinions before springing to do so because they are not cheap. 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 443
    I'm a big fan of Curt Mangans.,DRs an D'addario strings. D'addario  are the most consistent and reliable range of strings of the large manufacturers in my opinion. I love  DR Blues on electrics but Curt Mangans run a very close second. On acoustic I favour Curt Mangan and they do a great range of unusual gauges and I get 20% discount if I order from the US website which is nice. Don't like  Roto sound on anything but bass,  don't like Ernie Balls tried many many others too  (used to work in Denmark Street)  Curt Mangan strings are among the best I've ever used.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7848
    edited August 2016
    They're good. Different to EJ17s but cant quite say how. You should also try the Newtone acoustic strings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks both.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4297
    @Lewy, I had been using the Martin SP 80/20 Light/Medium set and my guitar absolutely loves them. however just emailed Strings Direct as they were unavailable, and they replied to say that Martin had just discontinued them. Slightly gutted, although the PB's in the same 'in between' gauge are still great.

Now very interested to try these Curt Mangans. Do they do them in 80/20? Will probably be a good few months before I get round to it anyway, don't really change strings that frequently.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts if you get some.
    CloudNine said:
    @Lewy, I had been using the Martin SP 80/20 Light/Medium set and my guitar absolutely loves them. however just emailed Strings Direct as they were unavailable, and they replied to say that Martin had just discontinued them. Slightly gutted, although the PB's in the same 'in between' gauge are still great.

Now very interested to try these Curt Mangans. Do they do them in 80/20? Will probably be a good few months before I get round to it anyway, don't really change strings that frequently.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts if you get some.
    Looks like Curt Mangan does 80/20 in this gauge. They seem quite well regarded on UMGF to so based on the recommendations there and here I'll give them a go and report back (although it'll be PB for me as opposed to 80/20)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3501
    JCA2550 said:
    I'm a big fan of Curt Mangans.,DRs an D'addario strings. D'addario  are the most consistent and reliable range of strings of the large manufacturers in my opinion. I love  DR Blues on electrics but Curt Mangans run a very close second. On acoustic I favour Curt Mangan and they do a great range of unusual gauges and I get 20% discount if I order from the US website which is nice. Don't like  Roto sound on anything but bass,  don't like Ernie Balls tried many many others too  (used to work in Denmark Street)  Curt Mangan strings are among the best I've ever used.
    EB's seem to have a really bad rep.  I really like their 80 20's, which are my favourite of all the various 80 20's I have tried.  They don't last very long but sound superb. 

Good write up on the CM's though.  I had a look at their website and they seem to be one of the few companies I have come across who have a 80/20 12 string set with a wound octave A!  

Where you can you buy their strings in the UK? 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 443
    edited August 2016
    They have set up a Curt Mangan European website but I wait the extra time and order a box at a time from their US website. I think I still get a bit of discount although it's a while since I last stocked up. If you want to order try CAM20 at the checkout you might still get 20% off? Cheers C