Anyone going to see Chantel McGregor?

monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17699
in Music tFB Trader
I've just bought a ticket to see her in Bury St Edmunds next week. 

Any other FB members going?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12448
    Not going to see her there but I've seen her a few times in the past. She's a good player and is very personable with a quirky sense of humour. Her voice is the weak link, she ain't no Joanne Shaw Taylor. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17699
    tFB Trader
    boogieman said:
    Not going to see her there but I've seen her a few times in the past. She's a good player and is very personable with a quirky sense of humour. Her voice is the weak link, she ain't no Joanne Shaw Taylor. 
    Interestingly JST is playing the same venue a few weeks later. 

I may compare and contrast.
    I prefer JST out of the two, but see what you make of them.

Chantel used to do excellent covers of Sloe Gin and a Robin Trower song called Daydream. Not sure if she still plays them these days as she writes a lot of her own material now.  
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17699
    tFB Trader
    I'm hoping she does more blues stuff live, though I do like her recent album (first one not so much).
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    As I think I've said before JST used to be no JST... she has worked a lot on her voice. Suprisingly shy stage presence for someone who has done as many gigs as she has. New album out soon,  I should look out for some dates. Last time I saw her I was struck by the amount of funk influence in her playing,  don't know if the new material reflects this. 
    I  don't really know what Chantel does. I'd seen some YouTube stuff of her doing blues but when she was on the TV she did Satriani stuff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I've seen Chantel a couple of times and always enjoyed the experience. Fine player, but (like many of her age) sounds a bit "music school trained" to me. Good band behind her, too. Agree that her voice is the weak spot. 

I saw Joanne Shaw Taylor supporting Robin Trower last year. She was very good, too, and sings as well as she plays. 

Both are worth seeing, I think.
  • If you get to meet them, say "Damo say's hello!" to the bassist, Colin ;)
    I'm hoping she does more blues stuff live, though I do like her recent album (first one not so much).

Not heard her latest one but I've got her first album, I think I've only played it once though and it's a bit of a mixed bag. The opening track sounds like the Sugarbabes to me. In a way she reminds me of Aynlsley Lister....great technique, good tone and obviously talented, just missing the voice, so the music comes across as vanilla white boy/girl blues. JST is the more all round package I think.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5299
    yep going to see her in Bideford, saw here last year playing at alocal holiday park bizzare venue but she was good, so looking forward to a night out with some mates watching a lovely young Lady playing good blues