Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is the hardest instrument to play?

What's Hot

Comments

• I'm surprised no one has mentioned the pink oboe.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Reading the comments about scale lengths it may be that it's easier to play in tune than a violin or cello but I'm a big admirer of double bass players. Seems hugely physical and very rough on the hands when plucked.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28402
    Double bass uses flat wound strings, does it not? So easier on the hands than an electric bass.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • You see double bass players with tremendously calloused fingers,  although maybe that's just jazz bassists playing a lot. 
    Always looks hard work. 

Sporky said:
    Double bass uses flat wound strings, does it not? So easier on the hands than an electric bass.

• It really depends who you ask. When I was a teenager, one of my mates was a pretty amazing sax player and I was always jealous of the sounds he could get from that thing - he regarded the electric guitar as the hardest instrument to play ("infinitely harder than the sax"), though, because of the sheer number of options in terms of notes, how they're played, what you can do with every note once you've hit it, chords etc.

For me, it's the piano - that much coordination between left and right hand (but performing essentially the same action) is totally alien to me.

Of course, I haven't tried a harp. Those things look bastard-hard to deal with, but I don't have a frame of reference there.
    <space for hire>
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6693
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the pink oboe.
    Coming from the perspective of a pro clarinetist, I would disagree about the double reeds and would say that any colour oboe is reasonable easy to play. However, a much harder instrument (as it were, see what I did there) is the skin flute. 
  • Sporky said:
    It's so much physically harder to play. Many DB players have to deal with hand and arm strain. It takes longer to work up to the level of stamina needed for a full jazz gig. In my current unpracticed state I could do a 20 min jam/gig vs near 2 hrs on electric bass. 
  • Re this discussion I think we have two camps of difficulty: 
    Tonal production: Oboe, French Horn, violin.

Bastardly complex when taken to its extremes:
    Piano
  • Based on listening to school recitals anything in the ( non fretted) string family is the hardest to get an in tune choon out of. There is a harp group locally and they get up and running suprisingly quickly ( quality of teacher, poshness/ pushiness of parents who want their kids to learn the harp may be factors). At a basic level keyboards/ piano one of the easiest because, I think, there is no need to form the note in any way or have an ear - you can learn to play a simple tune in a mechanical way. I understand that at a more advanced level the piano might take over in terms of hardness but if you wanted to learn an instrument from scratch ( not the original question here, I know)it might take days or weeks to get a decent noise out of a clarinet or in an intonated note out of a violin but you could be playing a recognisable melody on a keyboard by the end of your first lesson. 
  • It really depends who you ask. When I was a teenager, one of my mates was a pretty amazing sax player and I was always jealous of the sounds he could get from that thing - he regarded the electric guitar as the hardest instrument to play ("infinitely harder than the sax"), though, because of the sheer number of options in terms of notes, how they're played, what you can do with every note once you've hit it, chords etc.

For me, it's the piano - that much coordination between left and right hand (but performing essentially the same action) is totally alien to me.

Of course, I haven't tried a harp. Those things look bastard-hard to deal with, but I don't have a frame of reference there.
    I played sax right through high school and I completely disagree with him. The guitar takes relatively little time to get moderately good, and the fact that most notes can be played in multiple places gives it greater flexibility, making it easier, not harder.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Hammered dulcimer

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Hardest for me (never having been a drummer or a pianist) is my pitiful efforts at learning to play a Chapman Stick. Playing independent parts with your left and right hands - now that's hard! 
    Yes, not necessarily the hardest, but bloody hard! I've wrestled with a Chapman stick for years. I thought that my piano skills would help but they didn't really. It's incredibly hard to get that kind of hand interdependence going when you have a limited view of the fretboard as well. 
  • Sporky said:
    Cello is certainly an order of magnitude harder than guitar, but you don't have to put an awful lot of thought into your breathing which is why I thought trombone might trump it on overall difficulty.

I reckon violin is probably harder than cello because you've got the awful shrill noise of a violin to put up with, which I reckon is more of an ordeal than the wider left-hand stretches of the cello.
    The cello and in turn the double bass get harder in 1 respect - stretches - and easier in another - intonation. In that the longer scale means a larger "sounds in tune" target for the left hand.

Violin doesn't have many mental stretches, but the intonation is very sensitive.

That being said, single or 2 note instruments are often easier than say a piano from an early academic point of view, when 10 notes could be played at once. A better grasp of harmony is needed.

Physically though - I remember my 1 attempt to walk with a sousaphone.... 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28402
     if you wanted to learn an instrument from scratch ( not the original question here, I know)it might take days or weeks to get a decent noise out of a clarinet or in an intonated note out of a violin but you could be playing a recognisable melody on a keyboard by the end of your first lesson. 
    Actually, I think that's pretty much what I meant (if not what I said).

By competent, I think I mean "good enough to be paid to do it for an audience". So coffee-bar/restaurant piano, wedding reception string quartet, brass band in a park sort of lark.

I do not mean to stifle wider discussion by this.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8722
    I've always thought that the theremin must be amongst the most difficult to play. It's not physically difficult, but temperamental and inconsistent.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3028
    edited September 2016
    I think the Uilleann pipes and sitar are supposed to be hard (especially at the same time!)

I seem to remember soneone saying the harp was really difficult.  But that might have been just commenting on taking it on the tube...

I used to play trombone, it's not that hard. I found that the violin and the cornet were both more difficult.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    I've heard the shakuhachi (Japanese flute) is tricky... lots of head positions and blow angles to get the full range of pitches and timbres from it. It's like a recorder with a much more primitive mouthpiece and harder to learn.
  • Of the "standard" orchestral instruments its almost certainly the Oboe or Bassoon. 

I played in a lot of orchestral groups when I was younger and competent Oboists and Bassoonists were very hard to find. And it wasn't because they just don't exist---there were quite a lot of players, just not that many good ones.  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Hammered dulcimer
    The pissed lute and the Rat-arsed harpsichord can also be difficult to handle.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom