Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson 1957 Les Paul TV Special Restoration

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3689
    Absolutely beautiful.

A TV yellow single cut Special is my favourite  guitar.

Well done on bringing such an iconic guitar back to life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72934
    Beautiful work.

I should never have sold my one… :(.

That's not it - I did wonder when I saw the thread title. Mine had a serious and badly repaired - although physically strong enough, not pretty - headstock crack from before I bought it.

It's interesting to see the neck on that one while it was stripped - it looks like the headstock is one of the 'good ones' where the grain follows the curve of the headstock at least to some extent, which makes it a lot stronger.

Other "relic-ers" should take note too... less is more. That looks just right because it's not overdone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    Wow, many thanks for the kind comments chaps! It is much appreciated.

One bit of geekery I did forget to post was that after weighing the guitar before and after stripping, I managed to remove 2oz of poly finish!

I'm very happy with the aging, I'm very much in the less is more/subtle camp. Most of the vintage guitars I've owned or played have a few dings and some lacquer cracking. However, if I were to do it again, I'd leave the forearm wear off. It's a bit much compared to the rest of the guitar IMO.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks fantastic Neil. Another guitar I would love to own along with a Junior (which I still haven't sorted out). Your posts aren't helping one little bit.
  • Fantastic, the finish looks as good as any TV yellow I've seen. 
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    That's how a vintage guitar should be refinished. Top job!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That's fabulous! What a transformation!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72934
    miserneil said:

One bit of geekery I did forget to post was that after weighing the guitar before and after stripping, I managed to remove 2oz of poly finish!
    I once stripped a '77 Strat and took off about half a pound! I forget the exact figure - and to be accurate I can't remember if that included improving the forearm contouring as well, which I did - but the thickness of the finish on those is ludicrous.

miserneil said:

However, if I were to do it again, I'd leave the forearm wear off. It's a bit much compared to the rest of the guitar IMO.
    I agree actually, but at least you stopped there :).

Give it a bit of time and some genuine wear and it will blend in better - I think it's partly that the rest of the finish is still quite shiny. You've nothing to be ashamed of compared to most of the laughable belt-sander jobs out there though ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• That is just stunning! Top work :)
    edited September 2016 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    miserneil said:

I once stripped a '77 Strat and took off about half a pound! I forget the exact figure - and to be accurate I can't remember if that included improving the forearm contouring as well, which I did - but the thickness of the finish on those is ludicrous.

miserneil said:

However, if I were to do it again, I'd leave the forearm wear off. It's a bit much compared to the rest of the guitar IMO.
    I agree actually, but at least you stopped there .

Give it a bit of time and some genuine wear and it will blend in better - I think it's partly that the rest of the finish is still quite shiny. You've nothing to be ashamed of compared to most of the laughable belt-sander jobs out there though .
    @ICBM ;Totally agree. The finished pics were actually taken in January straight after the final polish. Since then it's had 40 odd gigs under its belt, some UV exposure and some 'real world' sings so it's starting to look quite convincing :-)

But, I must admit, after I'd done the forearm wear I thought "ah, too much..." and got a bit of a sinking feeling, but it's all good, just got to wear the rest of it away with gigging to match! :-)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    Superb! 10/10

I'll weight in and say I'm not usually into relics, but IMO it's entirely appropriate here and tastefully done
  • Nice one Neil ! 

I liked that guitar last time I played it and it was silver. It looks absolutely great now.

Rob.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3308
    tFB Trader
    Because of you I've now cut a blank out to build one of them, one of my favourite guitars
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Awesome, although it left me a little disappointed.

I really look forward to the 'Here it is on the roof of the outdoor lav' shots ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2016 tFB Trader
    JookyChap said:
    Awesome, although it left me a little disappointed.

I really look forward to the 'Here it is on the roof of the outdoor lav' shots
    @JookyChap ;Ahh, well you see, I've gone 'pro' now and got a UVB set up in the garage for a MG-esque multiple ageing approach... ;-)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Glorious! Great work.
  • That is simply stunning, quite possibly my favourite guitars ever thoseand that is very well done. 
  • Who purchased this beauty in the end? It still haunts my dreams!
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2911
    What a guitar that is. Magnificent work !