Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Vintage Effects Pedals

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    impmann said:

Pearl Octaver - bonkers fun

Yes this thing is great! I had one in the early eighties and discovered that if I played my flute through it, it made a very (well, to my teenaged ears!) impressive monophonic synth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogload said:
    impmann said:

Yes this thing is great! I had one in the early eighties and discovered that if I played my flute through it, it made a very (well, to my teenaged ears!) impressive monophonic synth.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • impmann said:

I used mine for a while as a distortion pedal. One of the few pedals I regret selling.
  • I have this:

I got it around '98 (I think) which is kinda scary as A: it's probably 'vintage' and B: it only seems like yesterday.
    I used to like older gear when I knew less about gear. Now I realise SOME of it is just over priced and temperamental and in this case too big! 

Old gear does look cool as though... :)
  • is this like guitars when vintage means old rather than a specimen of outstanding quality?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Just because it's old doesn't mean it's better. 

But a lot of people claim that the best gear is old, rare and expensive or new, hand-made with carefully selected components and expensive. What's in your wallet sometimes dictates which you get.
  • Yes a lot of people on here like the Strymon echo's and Tube Screamers, but let's face it, the likes of the El Cap gets pretty close to a tape echo machine and has its advantages. I'd love nothing more than to have a room full of vintage gear. But it's not always practical. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30941
    Skipped said:
    I sold my Rams Head Big Muff here on the forum. I think I got between £300 and £400 for it. The buyer was a guy somewhere in Europe who retails a wide range of new pedals online (and collects vintage pedals). He seemed very pleased with the pristine condition pedal that I had cherished.

What was funny was that a guy came on the thread and said it was a shame about the 3 large round knobs not being  original. Strange that. Seeing as i bought it brand new....one of the first batch to arrive in the UK.....  :)
    EHX used loads of different ones- whatever Radio Shack next door had in stock!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Here's a few:

Totes Orignal CE1, which still has the plastic film on the aluminium.
    Totes Orig EM V4
    TC2290
    Rack Tube D
    MXR Rack Delay
    1988 Rack RAT

• JezWynd said:
    I like the big plastic buttons on old stuff. You feel like you made a decision.

@Fatfingers, thanks for your review of Phaser Tone, I'd been hovering over the buy button on that one, think I'll pass.
    I love this!  Looks like hours of fun.   
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    Gassage said:
    Here's a few:

Totes Orignal CE1, which still has the plastic film on the aluminium.
    Totes Orig EM V4
    TC2290
    Rack Tube D
    MXR Rack Delay
    1988 Rack RAT

That Line6 Mod Pro is worthy of mention too... whilst not strictly 'vintage' yet, these units (especially the Filter Pro) are highly desireable.

I used to get asked all the time if we had any lying around in the warehouse or if I had any boards that someone could cobble together into a working unit. The interest in these was greater after Line6 had canned them off than when they were current.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

The Mod Pro has the best phaser of all time in it. The only thing it does badly is vibe

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    Gassage said:
    The Mod Pro has the best phaser of all time in it. The only thing it does badly is vibe
    Yes, Line6 have never got that right...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.