How good/bad is the Squier Affinity Strat/Tele?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hugbot said:
    If the resale value is that bad then I wouldnt buy one new.
    But as my man @meltedbuzzbox said recently. "Don't buy to invest, buy to play em"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30310
    Sassafras said:
    I'm quite surprised it takes a week or more to evaluate whether a guitar suits you or not. I thought most people, myself included, could tell within a few minutes if a guitar's any good.
    And that's usually before even plugging into an amp.
    Sorry if that comes across as patronising, it's not meant to be. I am just genuinely surprised.
    Tbf tho the OP does say in the post that he/she is a beginner. 

Ah, I see. In my rush to patronise the OP I missed that bit.
    My sincere apologies to the OP.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Get a used Pacifica. Simples.
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I probably rushed into buying a second, more expensive guitar too soon. However its warming to me now, and I like both equally, for different things. I know in theory I should have bought a guitar simply for wanting to play it, but I did observe the prices of the various models and make some attempt to understand the model range (of Fenders) and I believe I got a good deal on the MIM Strat, so if it came to selling I'd hopefully not be too much out of pocket.
  • Get a used Pacifica. Simples.
    Probably ^ this, although avoid the 012 which is a bit cheap n nasty in the hardware department. 

Surely for £150 you can get a much better piece of kit than an Affinity.  Keep an eye on your local Gumtree - I've picked up some great stuff off there recently for around your budget - an Ibanez RC320 in lovely double-bound red, a Schecter PT Fastback, even a Squier 51 would be streets ahead of an Affinity - you could get one sub-£100 if you're lucky. 

An affinity's ok, but it's not great, and might put you off just as much as inspire you. If you must have one, buy it used. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • For a beginner, there's nowt wrong with Affinity Squiers.
  • If it helps I have a Cort-made (Korean) Squier Strat from 1997 that I'd sell for BIG CHEAP!
    If it helps I have a Cort-made (Korean) Squier Strat from 1997 that I'd sell for BIG CHEAP!

Are you going to put it in the Guitars £ section?
  • Sure am! On it as we speak :)
    Cool just seen it - its not for me unfortunately, I am warming to my MIM Strat and I might be tempted with a HSS, HSH or HH Fender strat (or Affinity) at the right price to try it out, if I like it I would keep it and sell the other; if not I'd sell it again. Good luck with the sale though!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom