Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Drew_fx is now Drew_TNBD

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Tits? Nope; Bums, dammit!
    To Lol or Wiz, the dilemma
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    It's named after this event

I had no idea bridges could be so bendy.
    It ended like this so perhaps they aren't all that bendy!
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Tacoma-narrows-bridge-collapse.jpg

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • A troubled bridge. Over water.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72344
    Trying Not to Be (worried by imminently becoming) a Dad.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is this because he has been acquired?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    Drew_TNBD said:
    ESchap said:

Ah, that resonates ....

Actually, aeroelasticity.
    aeroelasticity is just the name for the field of study
    Red ones are better. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    TimmyO said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    ESchap said:

Ah, that resonates ....

Yes. The phenomenon is aeroelastic flutter.
    Is this because he has been acquired?
    Yes.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    TimmyO said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    ESchap said:

Ah, that resonates ....

from memory flutter is usually a reference to something constrained at one end and free at the other. 

This *is* a resonant phenomenon, but it's right to say it's caused as a result of various aeroelastic contributions - if it didn't change shape as it deflected, the resonance wouldn't start - the twisting causes a movement in the lifting profile of the bridge that moves down its length - more complex than a simple static resonance, but still a resonance effect.
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    TimmyO said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    ESchap said:

Ah, that resonates ....

from memory flutter is usually a reference to something constrained at one end and free at the other. 

This *is* a resonant phenomenon, but it's right to say it's caused as a result of various aeroelastic contributions - if it didn't change shape as it deflected, the resonance wouldn't start - the twisting causes a movement in the lifting profile of the bridge that moves down its length - more complex than a simple static resonance, but still a resonance effect.
    You sound like a professor!
    TimmyO said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    TimmyO said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    ESchap said:

Ah, that resonates ....

You sound like a professor!
    nah - I didn't take my studies further than a bachelors in Aero Engineering 
    Red ones are better. 
    Its explicitly not a resonance phenomenon. I'll post the explanation later.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you're going down the route of

"In many undergraduate physics texts the event is presented as an example of elementary forced resonance with the wind providing an external periodic frequency that matched the natural structural frequency, even though the real cause of the bridge's failure was aeroelastic flutter"  (from wikipedia) then that statement is (not deliberately) misleading in itself.

It's right to say that it's not a simple 'shake it at the right frequency and it resonates and falls apart' failure. There was a cascade effect of various failures that eventually led to the violent twisting. There were a couple (at least, iirc) of different failure modes that were specifically underdamped/resonant. There was a site that captured it all somewhere. I will see if I can dig it up.
    Red ones are better. 
    This isn't the site I was looking for, but it's the same info it looks like:

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/TNBhistory/Machine/machine3.htm

Red ones are better. 
    edited September 2016
    So stage 1:
    "Meanwhile, Professor F. B. Farquharson continued wind tunnel tests. He concluded that the "cumulative effected of undampened rhythmic forces" had produced "intense resonant oscillation." In other words, the bridge's lightness, combined with an accumulation of wind pressure on the 8-foot solid plate girder and deck, caused the bridge to fail."

Then once the vertical deflection gets too much, with unequal restraint from the suspension elements, it starts to twist, this triggers the vortex shedding, and as a result of that you get the rolling flex travelling back and forth:

"
    (3) The deck structure resisted this lifting and twisting. It had a natural tendency to return to its previous position. As it returned, its speed and direction matched the lifting force. In other words, it moved " in phase" with the vortex. Then, the wind reinforced that motion. This produced a "lock-on" event."

Again, a resonant effect. but a 3d not a 2d one. 3D resonance is a bitch - it's still not really studied by most engineers - but those who go in to aero engines <cough> know a bit about it as there are failure modes in fast rotating, heavy machines (e.g. gas turbines) given natty names like 3D3EO (3 dimensional, 3rd engine order*) that get studies because they are night on impossible to model 

* xEO just means a frequency x times the rotating speed - so a vibrational mode that is a harmonic of the input forces and which is not static - its effect moves around itself - making the failure hard to predict or even inspect for the early stages of. It was the reason that 3 Harriers fell out of the sky in 1999 - I worked with Rolls Royce to help find out why and to fix it. 

Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    This is what I was referring to:

(I'm not an expert, I just like the syllables)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom