Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Debt Free!

What's Hot
As of 2 days ago, I am debt free for the first time since I stared uni 13 years ago. Granted I haven't done the mortgage thing yet but it's a very nice feeling. 

(apart from a credit card used only for airmiles and paid in full every month, which doesn't count).
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Congratulations on your Independence Day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Let the gassing begin.  ;)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Congratulations Sticky.
    It is a good feeling, isn't it?

• I purposely kept a tiny bit of my mortgage.

Couple of reasons - if I've got one, it's easier to get more money from the same bank if I need it, and because it acts as sort of an insurance policy - it prevents a particular type of fraud when someone claims to be selling your house or attaching a debt to it. Between the Land Registry and the bank I'll get notice if anyone tries that.

A few years ago there were several cases where people found out massive debts had been attached to their mortgage free houses. The scammers had run off with the loan money.

It all gets sorted out in the end, but I'd rather that not happen.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Sweet! Nice going mate. 

Mortgage not withstanding, we have about 8k of debt which we're not incurring interest on and chipping away at, so it will be a great day when we've finally got rid of it! We could pay a huge chunk off now, but would prefer to keep some money in savings in case we need it. 
  • In 6 years I'll have to find money for university fees for my eldest.

Good parent: I will find a way to pay, no matter what.
    Bad parent: If she arses up her A-Levels then she won't be going....

Mmmmm
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I purposely kept a tiny bit of my mortgage.

I think mortgages are a bit of an exception when it comes to debt especially when interest rates are so low, the capital growth outstrips that rate and the debt it serviced by someone else.

I'm debt free except for the mortgages- I know that is a bit like saying I don't have any STI except HIV but in my mind it makes sense.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Nice one!  It's good feeling. 

• I've already put a deposit on a hefty bit of Bad Cat gas that should arrive in the next 6 weeks. I *am* passing close to Coda on my drive from Heathrow to Norfolk next week though...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I purposely kept a tiny bit of my mortgage.

Also the bank has to keep the deeds to your property instead of charging you to store them.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    In 6 years I'll have to find money for university fees for my eldest.

Mmmmm
    Start putting some money away regularly now or get a life policy on her.

If she gets in: you've got a head start on the debt.

If she doesn't: holiday, new car, gas fund! :)  
  • boogieman said:
    In 6 years I'll have to find money for university fees for my eldest.

Mmmmm
    Start putting some money away regularly now or get a life policy on her.

If she gets in: you've got a head start on the debt.

If she doesn't: holiday, new car, gas fund! :)  
    All in hand.

It's quite useful having a brother who is one of those evil bankers.

Why? She might need a bit to live off but student loans will cover the fees.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    Apart from the mortgage I'll be debt free in July 2018, and I'm never getting a credit card again. What was supposed to be a £2k spend paid off in 18 months turned in to £3.5k going on to a balance transfer after the 18 months.
  • At one point I owed roughly 20k to loans and credit cards, I seriously cannot explain the sense of joy when I paid the last payment off my consolidation loan I took out. Then a few years later I got 7k in ppi back, I can joke about it now that my irresponsible lending as a young un helped to get the deposit for my house.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I get pretty nervous about any debt over £1000, so apart from the mortgage and a store card which gets paid off every month (but is in effect giving 500-1000 free overdraft every month), all I've got at the moment is about £1000 left to pay off a 0% card. I know people put holidays on a card, and maybe we should start doing that as we've only been away recently because my parents paid for it, but it would worry me to have 3-4 grand on a card.

Of course, I'm an older bugger who got a half grant and excellent financial support from my parents so this world of student debt is completely alien to me.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    I hit that point about 4 years ago (again, excluding mortgage) - I was pretty much there when I bought my place 6 years ago, but solicitors, buying furniture, etc set me back a bit again. Not sure exactly when it happened - just noticed one day that what was left in my bank at the end of the month was more than the total I owed to various people (at 0%). I'm actually still in that state - I have a couple of grand on a credit card, but it's at 0% and I'm getting 3% on my current account, so no point in paying it off.

It's a nice feeling - knowing that when I buy toy X, it's with money I have, rather than money I'm planning to earn in the future. (That said, if I were to buy anything significant, I'd try to get interest-free credit, simply because it makes more financial sense).
  • I know I've said this before but I'm completely the opposite to Octatonic. I didn't consider myself debt free until the mortgage was gone. If I owe someone money (or favours or stuff) I am in debt.

Why? She might need a bit to live off but student loans will cover the fees.
    I don't want her starting her working life with a shit load of debt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    Luckily my student loan was only about £6k and it will be paid off in 2018. I can't imagine £9k a year, especially for the same course I did because it was completely worthless.