2»

Comments

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Not cheap, but Supro do a few - no master volume that I can see, though
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    edited September 2016 tFB Trader
    It's all about the speaker for that sort of sound. I get that fuzzy scratchy broken up sound from a small cab I made, loaded with an 8" Jensen Ceramic speaker. I wasn't after that sound, I just had the speaker spare and thought I'd give it a go. Amp is a simple single-ended champ style circuit with an EL84 output valve. Vintage fuzz and overdrive all day long. Not versatile but nails what you're after. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    It's all about the speaker for that sort of sound. I get that fuzzy scratchy broken up sound from a small cab I made, loaded with an 8" Jensen Ceramic speaker. I wasn't after that sound, I just had the speaker spare and thought I'd give it a go. Amp is a simple single-ended champ style circuit with an EL84 output valve. Vintage fuzz and overdrive all day long. Not versatile but nails what you're after. 
    Yeah, it sounds to me as though a champ with a reverb pedal might be best. 

Jack White's Silvertone was a 6x8 iirc. 
  • Laney Cub 10?

• The simpler the amp the better for this sort of thing. Youd get the sound with a Fender champ 600 or Epi jr with a fuzz in front. Its all about driving the amp hard with enough grit and treble via the fuzz. The smaller the valve amp the better i reckon. You could then mic up for big gigs. A pro junior might be too loud to drive hard enough at reasonable volumes

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1269
    edited September 2016
    How about the little Bugera V5? I don't have any personal experience with it but it seems to tick a lot of your boxes - small, 8" speaker, attenuator (down to 0.1W). I've even read a review that name checked Neil Young.

RAT Valve Amps do a modded version, I believe.
  • Left field suggestion but a fender Greta run into a small cab will get you there (albeit surprisingly loudly)
    they are wierdly ... Really good wee amps and cheap as you like