Why is my amp making this noise?!

sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

Ignore the playing. It's the singer on guitar.

Never done it before just started up this practice. 
It's been sat at bedroom levels for about 3 months whilst the band was hiatus (sounds proffesional right? Really drummer broke his shoulder). 

It's a dsl100. 
About a 9 months ago I had some of the resistors and diodes replaced by a tech, as it had overheated and died mid set. 

The new sound is very intermittent,  And goes if I put in on standby or "tap" the head with a fist. ..

Ideas? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    edited September 2016
    Throw it away before it catches fire ...
    doesnt sound like a Valve but those amps have a few known issues
    make sure you tech it to a tech that has dealt with them
    icbm will be along with details I'm sure
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72651
    Probably a faulty preamp valve with some sort of intermittent microphonic problem.

Whatever it is, it sounds hideous even by the standards of a Marshall DSL… :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• By virtue of the fact that you can bang the head and the noise goes, is actually a good thing as it suggests an intermittent connection (and that could be internal to a valve element as per ICBM's suggestion). Certainly worth taking the valves out and back in plus substitute if you have known good spares, as a start point. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    I think I've got some spare pre amp tubes, I'll swap the 4 out and hope for the best! 
    If not it'll go to a tech. 

@ICBM - the dsl has done me very well I won't hear a bad word against it ... /I can't afford a JCM800 that I really want .