Best fender style reverb pedal

What's Hot
im after a decent fender amp style reverb which is simple to use too. I've tried the biyang tri, smimverb, HOF mini, but they just sound digital. I just want the sound of a decent natural reverb. 
 Is the fender reverb one good? What about the ehx holy grail? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's expensive but the Strymon Flint is absolutely one of the best, IMO.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Flint is an option actually, as it has a really good trem too. Expensive though. I don't Mind £150 or under
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Looked at the Catalinbread Topanga? Meant to be very very good.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited September 2016
    Fender Boss reverb is good. Malekko spring chicken is also good. I like the holy grail but it doesent really sound like spring to me, just a pleasant sparkly reverb.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1408
    I love the Boss/Fender FRV1. Run it into dirt!
  • I've always fancied one of these:
    http://www.vhtamp.com/products/vht-accessories/melo-verb-pedal

Anybody know if they're any good for this?
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4093
    The Flint is an option actually, as it has a really good trem too. Expensive though. I don't Mind £150 or under
    Flint.  Don't reckon you'd regret it but you'd be lucky to get one for £150.  And the trem will make it worth it.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6307
    edited September 2016
    The Boss Fender 63 reverb is excellent. Sounds completely natural with all dials under 12 o'clockish. The Biyang Triverb was similar, doesn't sound good unless the controls are all dialled well back.
  • JezWynd said:
    The Boss Fender 63 reverb is excellent. Sounds completely natural with all dials under 12 o'clockish. The Biyang Triverb was similar, doesn't sound good unless the controls are all dialled well back.
    That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm thinking the boss is the way to go 
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 328
    Ehx holy grail nano for me.. I use it with an old bassman head and it sounds very close to my other Fender amps with reverb ;-)
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Another vote for the Boss FRV. Brilliant spring reverb emulation. 
  • The boss one is very very accurate. Spookily so. 

It's not my favourite reverb in the world, but I don't like spring reverb much apparently (heard a Carr reverb the other week and thought that wasn't as nice as a decent digital plate emulation!). Though I suppose spring reverb is the ticket for dick dale impressions. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Yes, the Boss certainly does that very wet drippy surf-verb.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74281
    Yes, another Boss FRV-1 vote here. I've got one, which I've compared to a genuine original '64 Fender Reverb unit - it's pretty close at most settings. The big difference is that it's quieter - which is good, but also slightly takes away some of the warmth of the original - and that it doesn't sound quite right when the Dwell is up full - the real reverb tank overdrives the send valve when you do this and sounds fat and splashy… the Boss sounds a bit zingy and metallic (the difference between analogue and digital overdrive, really). And of course the Boss doesn't crash when you kick it :(.

If you do want the everything-up-full Dick Dale surf-rock craziness, that's where the Boss is least accurate - although it's still fine really, with amp overdrive after it. For 'Fender amp reverb' - Dwell low, Tone high, Mixer below half - it's superb and really close to the real thing. At less than a tenth of the size and price... 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • solarsolar Frets: 174
    Carl Martin Headroom. You can't kick any of the digital ones ;)
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I have an FRV-1 and it is pretty good.  I would also seriously recommend the Hardwire Supernatural.  I directly A/B'd the spring setting on that with my DRRi and genuinely couldn't tell any difference.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited September 2016
    Wambler Faux Spring Reverb?
  • I know I've related the story before but I did a couple of gigs with someone who used one of these for Peter Green type stuff and if sounded brilliant.

solar said:
    Carl Martin Headroom. You can't kick any of the digital ones ;)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • As an occasional visitor to surf guitar 101 the Boss is the bog standard  although if you browse through the forum archives every type of faux and real spring reverb gets pulled apart at some point. The current favourite there is the Surfy Bear fet reverb. You buy the circuit board ( about £80 from Sweden I think)  and mount it yourself, although these seem to be in various small cabinets rather than pedal form. 
    The Danelectro Spring King still gets some love,  partly for the kick plate,  but they also fall apart (and aren't made anymore). 
    I've not long acquired a Malekko Spring Chicken. I'm not best placed to make any claims for it's authenticity but it's fun for some Dick Dale type nonsense. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.