Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Redundant

What's Hot

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited September 2016
    Redundancy was the best thing that ever happened to me. Got a short-term contract for double money, that led to other opportunities, and I never looked back. Good luck!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28354
    I've only gone through it once - it paid for the new kitchen my flat needed, and I had another job that started a week after that one ended.

I think I was probably quite fortunate!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    edited September 2016
    Sporky said:
    I've only gone through it once - it paid for the new kitchen my flat needed, and I had another job that started a week after that one ended.

I think I was probably quite fortunate!
    That's how we are trying to look at it. The wolves won't be at the door immediately and if I get a new job soon then it could actually be a brilliant thing that has just happened.
    I wasn't enjoying the job but it doesn't feel nice that I wasn't good enough after all this time with the company. But let's not wallow.

I have to do my house up to rent it, and I haven't had the time so now is as good a time as ever. I'll move in with my gf, our bills will suddenly be halved, and I'll hopefully get a trickle income from my house. And if it all goes tits up I've still got my house to fall back on.

Life goes on...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I know a few people who have been made redundant

scary at first, but they have all come back and said it was the best thing that could have happened in the long run.

One in particular, used the lump sum to clear mortgage and loans, then got a job doing the same thing for more money.  And zero debt.  Awesome eh!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Great attitude !  Hope the payout is good.

I fear I'll be following you next month (seems targetted at me and my ilk - old/well paid - legal min payout too) - has caused a CV update and multiple applications
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Sorry to hear that Stu. I'm confident you'll get up and running again. Good luck for the future.
    Cheers man. I'll probably move in with my gf in Ardersier in the meantime and look for work in Inverness. More options there than Elgin, and then we'll find somewhere in the city when I've got a job.
    It's one big adventure, huh?
    joeyowen said:
    I know a few people who have been made redundant

scary at first, but they have all come back and said it was the best thing that could have happened in the long run.

One in particular, used the lump sum to clear mortgage and loans, then got a job doing the same thing for more money.  And zero debt.  Awesome eh!
    If I took a new job tomorrow, it's crazy to think that I could nearly pay off my mortgage.
    It's not meant to work like that having lost my job! It's only because of my length of service that they are offering over the odds.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Good luck. Happend to me 16 years ago, and in retrospect it was the best thing, work wise, to ever happen to me. Take the time to refelct, as you plan to, and make the most of a break. Things have a habit of working out
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1774
    DiscoStu said:
    I wasn't enjoying the job but it doesn't feel nice that I wasn't good enough after all this time with the company. But let's not wallow.

There are loads of factors involved in redundancy that I wouldn't assume that it's because you're not good enough! If you've been there a while so are on a decent pay then they probably favoured removing the salary associated with your role (cos it's normally about money not people) and then lumping the more junior staff with extra work that they're not able to do.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    I got made redundant about 10 years ago, and at the time was devestated.  However, I ended up getting a better job out of it, so if you look at the positives and see it as an opportunity it can sometimes work out for the best. Good luck!
    edited September 2016
    @BigMonka I've worked my way up from technician to manager, then at the end of last year they created a new external sales team and asked me to take a national sales role with one other guy. This new dept hasn't brought in as much as the board wanted, and of the two of us I am making lower sales, so I'm out. There are no other roles available and nothing they can create for me so only option is redundancy.
    The guy who took me on in '96 is the one who let me go. It was a tad emotional.
  • There are plenty of people in my office who are hoping for VR. Even I would be on for 6 months' pay and I've only been here 8 years.

Good luck!
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1774
    DiscoStu said:
    @BigMonka I've worked my way up from technician to manager, then at the end of last year they created a new external sales team and asked me to take a national sales role with one other guy. This new dept hasn't brought in as much as the board wanted, and of the two of us I am making lower sales, so I'm out. There are no other roles available and nothing they can create for me so only option is redundancy.
    The guy who took me on in '96 is the one who let me go. It was a tad emotional.
    Sorry to hear that Stu, it must be hard after having put 20years in to a company - but I'm sure you'll find a new job soon and will have a nice payout sat in the bank as a guitar/holiday/funtimes fund!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • If you are lucky they will ask for you back as a contractor at double pay
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Happened to me about 10 years ago after a 16 year stint. Not unexpected but led to an interesting couple of years (on many fronts) as I was getting divorced around then too.
    After a couple of years agency/temping etc. I found a nice secure job to probably see me out which leaves me lots of freedom as well as responsibility.
    Enjoy your gardening leave but contact agencies for temp work to tide you over and contact businesses you might be unaware of. good things will come of your situation if my experience was anything to go by.

edited September 2016
    Thanks everyone. Your anecdotal comments have been wholly positive, so let's hope this is the making of me.
    I haven't felt like 'me' for the past couple of years. I used to do things, and I became quite introverted after a break up and lost interest in guitars and biking. My new gf is amazing but the job I've just lost was consuming all my time, whereas I thought working from home and making my own hours would be a sweet deal. It wasn't.
    For those of you who saw the camera booth I built last month, that gave me such pleasure. I haven't built a piece of furniture in two decades and it was a joy to do it again. There's no money in bespoke furniture up my way but I got a bit of the 'old me' back. Time to get some other bits back too.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    I'm currently "at risk of..." and will find out in 2-3 weeks. 
    Our company will give the the least it can possibly get away with in terms of pay out. 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Reverend said:
    I'm currently "at risk of..." and will find out in 2-3 weeks. 
    Our company will give the the least it can possibly get away with in terms of pay out. 

Yep.  Same here.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • "Best thing that ever happened to me" seems to be a feature of this thread. That makes me feel very sad. Like a kid who gets all excited about the orange in their stocking.
    "Best thing that ever happened to me" seems to be a feature of this thread. That makes me feel very sad. Like a kid who gets all excited about the orange in their stocking.
    Well it's better than being sacked.