Comments

• glynesglynes Frets: 131
    Who the fuck cares?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • hehehe - I was expecting that but not that quick!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And the award for the most boring piece of gear for the year goes to... 

Honestly, a clean boost? 
  • Yep here we go again!!! Aw gawd missus the pity of it !
  • I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Isn't that how most people use the regular Klon anyway? With the dirt all/most of the way down.

Presumably taking away the bits of the circuit that do the dirt (including the unicorn tears diodes) reduces the manufacturing cost considerably (smaller enclosure, one less knob, fewer components, smaller circuit board...), but not necessarily the potential retail cost. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited September 2016
    It won't make a huge amount of difference to the cost of the circuit in all honesty. The diodes are not rare or expensive, indeed nothing in it is, and the cost difference between a 1590B and 1590BB box isn't that great in the scheme of things. He's probably saving £2-3 tops.

The cost of building single effects doesn't vary wildly unless it does have particularly expensive stuff in there like old BBDs, reverb bricks, vactrols and the like. Certainly on a cost of parts basis. The main cost in stompbox building is the cost in time if you're assembling them yourself. This can vary a huge amount and will impact what you charge. However if you're having them made by a 3rd party then this again just becomes a direct cost like the cost in parts I suppose.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What next? A Memory Man without delay?
  • juansolo said:
    It won't make a huge amount of difference to the cost of the circuit in all honesty. The diodes are not rare or expensive, indeed nothing in it is, and the cost difference between a 1590B and 1590BB box isn't that great in the scheme of things. He's probably saving £2-3 tops.

The cost of building single effects doesn't vary wildly unless it does have particularly expensive stuff in there like old BBDs, reverb bricks, vactrols and the like. Certainly on a cost of parts basis. The main cost in stompbox building is the cost in time if you're assembling them yourself. This can vary a huge amount and will impact what you charge. However if you're having them made by a 3rd party then this again just becomes a direct cost like the cost in parts I suppose.

I thought nobody had ever established exactly which diodes the original Klon used, except that they were unusual and tough to get hold of. Presumably eliminating the time-consuming ball-ache of tracking down unobtainium parts has a cash value...

@jonnygreentrees ;

What next? A Memory Man without delay?
    Why not? You can already spend £120 on an Echoplex without delay...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bill looks as bored with this as the rest of us...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
     I thought nobody had ever established exactly which diodes the original Klon used, except that they were unusual and tough to get hold of. Presumably eliminating the time-consuming ball-ache of tracking down unobtainium parts has a cash value...

Bill has already confirmed in an interview that he used 1n34a though it doesn't really matter which germaniums you use as long as the forward voltage is right it'll still sound like a klon.  
  • Adam_MD said:

Bill has already confirmed in an interview that he used 1n34a though it doesn't really matter which germaniums you use as long as the forward voltage is right it'll still sound like a klon.  
    Right, so not all that unusual.

I remember hearing rumours of obsolete eastern-european NOS stuff etc, which I assume was all bollocks. I don't recall having heard it so much since Klones started becoming a thing a few years back, so maybe I just wasn't around when it got debunked.

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    It'd been suspected for years that they were 1N34As, he confirmed it about a year ago or so. As said, if you get the forward voltage in the right range, any germ diode will give the same effect. They're just clippers.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    edited September 2016
    This could just be a complete coincidence BUT I clicked on the above link using Chrome on my Samsung S6.

It took me to a site that said "are you 18"? I clicked yes......foolishly.

My browser hung at that point and I received an SMS within 5 seconds stating that I'd subscribed to a £9 a week service from "fun4vid.mobi"

I got straight on to my Service Provider who said that they could put me through to the company who was behind the scam.

I was put through but surprise surprise, there is only an answering service where you can leave your details and they'll get back to you within 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!

I have now followed the "text STOP" to 6505 - of course I've been charged 10p for sending this SMS.

Be warned!

Now I'm back at my desktop, the original link is displaying the intended graphic so I'm assuming that my phone didn't display this and instead popped me into a click bait screen on Photobucket that I couldn't escape from. 
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
    Like an ep booster? 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    What makes me laugh about that bloke is the notice he put on those KTR Klons that says that the hype over his pedals is nothing to do with him.
    The fact that he put it in a weird shaped box, gooped the circuit and talked about "magic diodes" had nothing to do with him, it was a pure coincidence.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Sassafras said:
    What makes me laugh about that bloke is the notice he put on those KTR Klons that says that the hype over his pedals is nothing to do with him.
    The fact that he put it in a weird shaped box, gooped the circuit and talked about "magic diodes" had nothing to do with him, it was a pure coincidence.
    In fairness Bill Finnegan was one of the few pedal builders who had an original circuit to protect as opposed to Sean from lovepedal etc gooping to hide their blatant ripp offs. 
    Isn't that the EHX Amnesia Man?
    No, it's actually called the Memory Loss.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Has it got a funny message written on the enclosure mocking your purchase ?