Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Deluxe Reverb as hired backline

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Sassafras said:
    You must be one hell of a heavy smoker @BintyTwanger77  if 8 months of snouts will get you a Lazy J.
    Smoking is a f*ck-expensive business. Even on less than 20 a day you can spend £300 a month on cigarettes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    You must be one hell of a heavy smoker @BintyTwanger77  if 8 months of snouts will get you a Lazy J.
    Smoking is a f*ck-expensive business. Even on less than 20 a day you can spend £300 a month on cigarettes.
    It never ceases to amaze me how much some simple things that people take for granted add up to when you accumulate that spend over a slightly longer time scale.  Things like smoking, coffee, or even daily parking fees.

£300 a month = £7,200 over two years, that's a serious GAS budget right there !

= £20,000 in just five and a half years, that's a whole TWENTY THOUSAND POUNDS up in smoke    :-O

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    edited September 2016
    Not to mention ...... smoking FRIGGIN' Kills you. As it did my brother of 43 years of age
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    A little known fact: the new machines that make the cigarettes now produce 10,000 cigarettes a minute. That's 500 packets per minute. They work 24 hour shifts. I'm not even going to calculate how many that is per day, let alone per year. Yes, sometimes they need fixing but that's why they have 2 machines. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 891
    edited September 2016
    Sassafras said:
    It never ceases to amaze me how much some simple things that people take for granted add up to when you accumulate that spend over a slightly longer time scale.  Things like smoking, coffee, or even daily parking fees.

£300 a month = £7,200 over two years, that's a serious GAS budget right there !

= £20,000 in just five and a half years, that's a whole TWENTY THOUSAND POUNDS up in smoke    :-O
    But as the old joke goes:

Man - `You`ve smoked for 20 years? In that time you`ve spent enough on cigs to by a Ferrari!`

Wife - `Yep - have you smoked in the last 20 years?`

Man - `erm - no!`

Wife - `Fine - so where`s your frekkin Ferrari???????`

I guess you pays your money and makes your choice!

(nb - I`ve never smoked - my wife really does smoke 20 a day, although she moved to vape-ing on Monday this week. I don`t have a Ferrari, or even a Lazy J)
  • I used to smoke sixty a day. Glad I stopped, I'd have been destitute by now!
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 789
    worse still regular smoking doesn't even pack a buzz.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31019
    gordiji said:
    I'll PM you a number....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Sassafras said:
    I'm contemplating the uncontemplatable at the moment, as part of the cigarettes-for-GAS challenge I've set myself: selling my fantastic 65 DRRI, and making do with my wee Blackstar 1W practice amp for home and using rehearsal room amps until I've saved enough ex-cigs money for a new one. Hardcore.

It would be a huge sacrifice, though, because I love that amp so much.

I don't understand.
    Why would you sell an amp you love only to buy it back again?
    It would be an incentive to continue not to smoke and save the money I would spend on cigarettes for an amp. It's all in another thread I posted. Deprivation as motivation. Also, 8 months of not smoking could buy me a Lazy J20, so wouldn't necessarily be buying a DRRI again if I went ahead and did this.
    why not keep the amp and sell it when you have enough saved up (+ amp sale) to buy the lazy j?

Or even better buy a hiwatt as Hiwatt > Lazy J

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    gordiji said:

Depends on what you're smoking.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31019
    Sassafras said:
    I'm contemplating the uncontemplatable at the moment, as part of the cigarettes-for-GAS challenge I've set myself: selling my fantastic 65 DRRI, and making do with my wee Blackstar 1W practice amp for home and using rehearsal room amps until I've saved enough ex-cigs money for a new one. Hardcore.

I don't understand.
    Why would you sell an amp you love only to buy it back again?
    It would be an incentive to continue not to smoke and save the money I would spend on cigarettes for an amp. It's all in another thread I posted. Deprivation as motivation. Also, 8 months of not smoking could buy me a Lazy J20, so wouldn't necessarily be buying a DRRI again if I went ahead and did this.
    why not keep the amp and sell it when you have enough saved up (+ amp sale) to buy the lazy j?

Or even better buy a hiwatt as Hiwatt > Lazy J

Jack, no. They're different. That's like saying a fuzz is better than a delay 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    lukedlb said:
    A little known fact: the new machines that make the cigarettes now produce 10,000 cigarettes a minute. That's 500 packets per minute. They work 24 hour shifts. I'm not even going to calculate how many that is per day, let alone per year. Yes, sometimes they need fixing but that's why they have 2 machines.  

500 per minute x 60 = 30,000 an hour
    30,000 x 24 = 720,000 a day
    720,000 X 365 = 262,800,000 packs a year

:)

• People like fags.
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    edited September 2016
    So, in conclusion, I intend to take up smoking, then stop, then use the money saved to buy a Deluxe Reverb, or Twin, or Pro Reverb, or Vibrolux.

Or just use my Orange, Cornford or Fender and stop buying more amps.
  • I'm contemplating the uncontemplatable at the moment, as part of the cigarettes-for-GAS challenge I've set myself: selling my fantastic 65 DRRI, and making do with my wee Blackstar 1W practice amp for home and using rehearsal room amps until I've saved enough ex-cigs money for a new one. Hardcore.

Respect what you are doing, but don't be a tool, if you love the amp, keep it, it's gonna save you money in the long run if you end up having to get another. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.