Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

There's some nasty insects out this year

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
I'm not one for getting bitten much usually, but I've had 6 bloody nasty insect bites in the past 2 weeks. They have all gone bright red and itch like mad for about a week. I got one on the top of my foot 2 days ago, a big swollen lump of a thing it itches terribly all day and night - it's literally waking me up at night! I'm sat at work having a mad scratching fit that I will regret in a few seconds .......

Any insects in my house that look like they will bite are DEAD!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yup, I'm just finishing a course of antibiotics because of a bite which caused my arm and hand to swell up like Mr Stay Puft (and I'm not the swelling type normaly). The Doc made sure they're the sort that would cover Lymes disease and handily I'm also good for Chlamydia too.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Yes I've been bitten, late evening seems the worst time. I've been using a tip I picked up.
    Heat a teaspoon in boiled water, hold in the air 10 seconds to cool a little then place the back of the hot spoon right on the fresh bite, it will be hot! Repeat.
    The heat apparantly kills the proteins in the bite. The itching all but stops there and then. Don't do like I did and be a hero, I did the super hot spoon 3 times on the inside of my forearm, no bite itches but a burm blister came up the next day and it looked ugly.
    I suspect Mossies are the main culprits. Wheres my can of DDT?
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    You all have the zika virus 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    We had a week in Spain - on the coast between Barcelona and Tarragona - at the beginning of August where it was very hot and very humid. Myself, the Mrs and the son got eaten alive by bastard mosquitoes to a stupid degree! I can usually go three weeks abroad with one or two bites but apparently these are Tiger Mosquitoes or something and somewhat impervious to repellent. We each came away with at least thirty bites, my son had between forty and fifty! Yes, we had a lovely holiday... what a bunch of bloodsucking shitcunts!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The worst bites I've had are from little dark bugs called Blandford Flies. I first encountered them at a local duck pond at dawn, but have also been bitten on my parents' lawn when it was a bit damp.

They draw blood and you can feel the bite/suck as it happens.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Get an ammonia stick if you can - it's like magic - counteracts the irritant acid from the bite.  First found out about these in Greece for dealing with the fracking mosquito bites.  Not sure if they're available in UK
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    edited September 2016
    Yup this year seems really bad for bitey things, there's loads of those black flies where we walk the dog that look like bluebottles but have red eyes. They give a bite that doesn't hurt initially but comes up in an itchy lump after a couple of days. Also got a spider bite on my neck a week ago and it hurt like a bastard. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited September 2016
    The worst bites I've had are from little dark bugs called Blandford Flies. I first encountered them at a local duck pond at dawn, but have also been bitten on my parents' lawn when it was a bit damp.

They draw blood and you can feel the bite/suck as it happens.
    I think I suffered with these (or similar) in the garden this year.

You feel the puncture and you have to pull them off (no pun) then the blood follows? Horrible dark patches afterwards?
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7812
    I have also been bitten on my parents' lawn .

that sounds like a euphemism, but I'm not sure what for. . .
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16120
    Late September every year my house and garden is plagued by Hornets...........nasty things with v nasty Sting
    Called Vespa in Italian -lending the name to the eponymous scooter.
    We have never been able to find the nest but late Aug to late Oct we get at least 10 - 15 per day get in the house
  • dogload said:
    We had a week in Spain - on the coast between Barcelona and Tarragona - at the beginning of August where it was very hot and very humid. Myself, the Mrs and the son got eaten alive by bastard mosquitoes to a stupid degree! I can usually go three weeks abroad with one or two bites but apparently these are Tiger Mosquitoes or something and somewhat impervious to repellent. We each came away with at least thirty bites, my son had between forty and fifty! Yes, we had a lovely holiday... what a bunch of bloodsucking shitcunts!
    Tiger Mosquitoes are really horrible and are spreading across Europe, we've been plagued by them the last 3-4 years, all though this year they haven't seemed so numerous.

The bites seems a lot more itchy :(

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b6/CDC-Gathany-Aedes-albopictus-1.jpg
  • watch out for horseflies, you can get a very bad reaction from them, we nearly had to cancel a holiday, my Mrs' arm all swelled up from one bite on her hand
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    Watch out too for False Widows. They leave a very nasty bite that swells up.
  • Get some Lemongrass/Citronella essential oils and burn them in a burner in the bedroom a couple of hours before you go to bed. It's not perfect, but it helps.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Kebabkid said:
    Watch out too for False Widows. They leave a very nasty bite that swells up.
    We seem to have a fair few of them in our garden/garage and sometimes even in the house. We had a massive one on our bedroom ceiling the other morning! The mrs caught it in a jar. I have a policy of not killing spiders but she whipped it outside and stomped it.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    We have a pair of cats who have gotten covered in fleas every summer - the house is starting to get infested again :(  in fairness, last year was worse. 

I swear these fleas are getting resistant to whatever is in the anti flea treatments they get. Tried every known brand of over the counter flea treatment (seriously) and even the prescription level stuff wasn't touching them. 
    Bastard things bite in the night after infesting your bedsheets. I saw one on my foot the other day, by the time you realise, it's gone. 

Tried homemade flea traps too. Not a single one... 
    The terrifying statistic is that for every flea you see or feel, there are 80 you don't... 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Hertz32 said:
    We have a pair of cats who have gotten covered in fleas every summer - the house is starting to get infested again :(  in fairness, last year was worse. 

I swear these fleas are getting resistant to whatever is in the anti flea treatments they get. Tried every known brand of over the counter flea treatment (seriously) and even the prescription level stuff wasn't touching them. 
    Bastard things bite in the night after infesting your bedsheets. I saw one on my foot the other day, by the time you realise, it's gone. 

The terrifying statistic is that for every flea you see or feel, there are 80 you don't... 
    We had issues with regular flea treatment for our cats being ineffective, we switched to Broadline which we get from the Vets, it's expensive but we've no issues in over a year now and treat them every 5 weeks.

The Vet has warned that it could become ineffective in time so may need to switch to an alternative they have.

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Hertz32 said:

We had issues with regular flea treatment for our cats being ineffective, we switched to Broadline which we get from the Vets, it's expensive but we've no issues in over a year now and treat them every 5 weeks.

The Vet has warned that it could become ineffective in time so may need to switch to an alternative they have.
    That was the stuff they gave us the didn't work, guess we'll have to go back and see what else they have that might work... There are other cats in the area and have been for years. It wouldn't surprise me if they caught their fleas from them that were already resistant. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • I remember in the old days when flea treatment was reactive - your cat got fleas and you sorted it after.

Nowadays it's all about preventative treatments and it's big business. Are the treatments really that ineffective?

I've got to admit I've let ours lapse on both the cats and dog and
    touch wood they haven't got them. For example if the treatment says it lasts 4 weeks I'll spin it out for 6 on the basis that they've included a factor of safety and want to generate profits with more frequent treatments.

We also forgot during the upheaval of a new baby and house move last year - probably for months without consequence.
    Previously known as stevebrum

• We use Advantage on our cats and they have not had fleas for ages.. Costs a fortune from the vets but much cheaper online.

As for general biting things, it's been pretty bad at home and abroad.  Spain we got eaten alive.