SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Logic Pro X - paid assistance?

What's Hot
Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 985
edited September 2016 in Studio & Rec £
Apologies if this is in the wrong thread mods -

I am looking for some one to tutor me in the use of Logic Pro X. I am entirely new to DAW's having previously used a 4 track and a an 8 track digital recorder. I am, at best, an average guitar, bass, drum and keyboard player. I am not short of ideas for tracks. 

I am in North Wales. I have a MAC, Logic Pro X, and audio interface, a midi controller, studio monitors, guitars, bass, electric drums, synths etc. 

I am looking to learn the basics - how to make loops, sequence, use FX etc......

My time is fairly limited with a demanding job, two kids, and a regularly gigging band. i have Logic Pro X for dummies but feel i need some one to speak to and show me so I can progress. 

I am happy to pay for guidance of course.....

I know this is a long shot - thanks! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• YouTube is probably your best bet to get a grip of the basics.

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 396
    edited September 2016
    I'm not far from you (just over the border from Wrexham) and might entertain the idea of teaching (although I don't think I'm very good at it!) but in all honesty I think if you're just looking at tinkering you'd be better off starting with Garageband.

Logic is a fully featured, professional recording tool aimed at studios - its the main alternative to Pro Tools. If you just want to create drum loops and jam along then its way too over-featured.

Garageband is the little brother of Logic, based on the same technology, but it has fewer features and an easier interface. Plus I believe its free to download from the Mac App store.

My advice would be to start with Garageband and find some youtube videos that have a 101 approach to using it.

If I've under-estimated your intentions here and been a bit patronising then I fully and utterly apologise!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited September 2016
    I did the groove 3 Logic X Tutorial course and found it very useful, it is probably cheaper to pay the monthly rate and cancel when you're done (and you'd also get access to all the other stuff too). https://www.groove3.com/logic-pro-training-video-tutorials/Logic-Pro-X-Explained

I've been recording for 10+ years but for most of that time only doing basic stuff as far as DAWs are concerned, and I wanted to learn a bit more in depth and get more efficient.  I found the course useful, especially in speeding up workflow...

I actually disagree with learning garageband first.  I think the best idea is to learn Logic X and then stick with it, for home use most of the modern DAWs can do everything necessary in some way or another and it just comes down to knowing how to get from A to B.  

IMO Logic X isn't difficult to use once you understand the basic functionality, and when you're ready to explore more advanced stuff it is all in there.
  • Not in the wrong section, but I've edited the title for you to make the purpose of the thread a bit clearer.
    <space for hire>
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    YouTube is probably your best bet to get a grip of the basics.

This. Literally everything you could ever need to know. 
  • I'm not far from you (just over the border from Wrexham) and might entertain the idea of teaching (although I don't think I'm very good at it!) but in all honesty I think if you're just looking at tinkering you'd be better off starting with Garageband.

Logic is a fully featured, professional recording tool aimed at studios - its the main alternative to Pro Tools. If you just want to create drum loops and jam along then its way too over-featured.

Garageband is the little brother of Logic, based on the same technology, but it has fewer features and an easier interface. Plus I believe its free to download from the Mac App store.

My advice would be to start with Garageband and find some youtube videos that have a 101 approach to using it.

If I've under-estimated your intentions here and been a bit patronising then I fully and utterly apologise!
    Thanks colourofsound 

Garageband came with my MAC - as did Logic Pro - basically i brought the lot (Audio interface and midi controller) off a friend in a tight spot) but he lives in London. 

I am planning to do a bit more - I've recorded my own stuff for years. I just want to be able to do more editing and production than the 8 track i've been using allows. 

I've heard garage band is easier - but my thought is as Ive got both I might as well learn logic as thats the one I intend to be on.... i don't know if thats a bad idea

Do you use Logic?

• I did the groove 3 Logic X Tutorial course and found it very useful, it is probably cheaper to pay the monthly rate and cancel when you're done (and you'd also get access to all the other stuff too). https://www.groove3.com/logic-pro-training-video-tutorials/Logic-Pro-X-Explained

I've been recording for 10+ years but for most of that time only doing basic stuff as far as DAWs are concerned, and I wanted to learn a bit more in depth and get more efficient.  I found the course useful, especially in speeding up workflow...

I actually disagree with learning garageband first.  I think the best idea is to learn Logic X and then stick with it, for home use most of the modern DAWs can do everything necessary in some way or another and it just comes down to knowing how to get from A to B.  

IMO Logic X isn't difficult to use once you understand the basic functionality, and when you're ready to explore more advanced stuff it is all in there.
    Thanks GFB i'll definitely have a look into this sounds promising - appreciate the share
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7545
    Apologies if this is in the wrong thread mods -

I am looking for some one to tutor me in the use of Logic Pro X. I am entirely new to DAW's having previously used a 4 track and a an 8 track digital recorder. I am, at best, an average guitar, bass, drum and keyboard player. I am not short of ideas for tracks. 

I am in North Wales. I have a MAC, Logic Pro X, and audio interface, a midi controller, studio monitors, guitars, bass, electric drums, synths etc. 

I am looking to learn the basics - how to make loops, sequence, use FX etc......

My time is fairly limited with a demanding job, two kids, and a regularly gigging band. i have Logic Pro X for dummies but feel i need some one to speak to and show me so I can progress. 

I am happy to pay for guidance of course.....

I know this is a long shot - thanks! 
    I was/am in a similar boat - I ended up getting a book that I'd seen recommended

Apple Pro Training Series : Logic Pro X 10.1
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Pro-Training-Professional-Production/dp/0134185730

There's a downloadable update for 10.2 features:
    www.peachpit.com/apts.logicprox101

I went with the Kindle version so I can have the manual open on one screen and Logic running on another. I'm finding it really thorough and easy to use. I get that video is good but this I way I actually "do" so recall it better, plus I've got an indexed reference on any of my devices that can run a Kindle app. 

Red ones are better. 
  • http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/ have a look here, theres loads of question and answers. From beginner level to real in depth stuff. 
  • wayneirie said:
    http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/ have a look here, theres loads of question and answers. From beginner level to real in depth stuff. 
    Thanks - I'll definitely get on that forum - as demonstrated in this thread - this (my first forum) has been massively helpful
  • my son's BTEC music technology seems to be largely learning Logic Pro. So, if you can wait a couple of years and pay the bus fare...

but it might be worth looking at local 6th form/ community colleges?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • my son's BTEC music technology seems to be largely learning Logic Pro. So, if you can wait a couple of years and pay the bus fare...

but it might be worth looking at local 6th form/ community colleges?
    Ha ha - cheers Eric, maybe a weekday saver ticket will get the job done!
  • Been using it since the Atari and C-Lab Notator, shit I'm old...

I'd suggest doing a few video online tutorials like MacPro video and YouTube. Logis isn't hard at all, in fact I'd say it was fairly user friendly these days.
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • xtedmanziextedmanzie Frets: 48
    edited September 2016
    I'm a long time user of Logic Pro, but when I upgraded from 9 to X I signed up to www.lynda.com in order to get me up to speed on some of the new features and I was really impressed by the courses. It's so much more efficient watching and listening to someone rather than reading a manual/instructional book. I seem to remember I had a free trial period and then paid for  a month or two. There are courses for all levels, how about this one for you?  >
    https://www.lynda.com/Logic-Pro-tutorials/Logic-Pro-X-Essential-Training/96308-2.html?srchtrk=index:1 linktypeid:2 q:logic+pro+x page:1 s:relevance sa:true producttypeid:2

p.s I have to disagree with the previous poster, I think Logic has a steep learning curve if you're new to DAWs.
    Fretboard trader feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/65502/
    Basschat trader feedback: http://tinyurl.com/8yevyl6
  • tedmanzie said:
    I'm a long time user of Logic Pro, but when I upgraded from 9 to X I signed up to www.lynda.com in order to get me up to speed on some of the new features and I was really impressed by the courses. It's so much more efficient watching and listening to someone rather than reading a manual/instructional book. I seem to remember I had a free trial period and then paid for  a month or two. There are courses for all levels, how about this one for you?  >
    https://www.lynda.com/Logic-Pro-tutorials/Logic-Pro-X-Essential-Training/96308-2.html?srchtrk=index:1 linktypeid:2 q:logic+pro+x page:1 s:relevance sa:true producttypeid:2

p.s I have to disagree with the previous poster, I think Logic has a steep learning curve if you're new to DAWs.
    Thanks Ted. I have to agree - it seems a steep learning curve. Or at least to me!!!! Certainly compared to the ease of my old 8 track. I keep going back to it - might have to give it away to commit to Logic. 

Also I do find it hard to learn from a dry text book.... so I appreciate the link. I'll certainly check it out. Thanks
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited September 2016
    @Placidcasual79 if you want some multitracks give me a shout. When i was getting back DAW's it was really useful. I mixed a few songs it really helped me to get my head round it set up effects try Plug ins. etc. try stuff out get my head round it. Make mistakes etc. I cant really help with the midi side as i use ableton for that.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33837
    edited September 2016
    Hi Placidcasual79.

I teach Logic, but I'm in Oxfordshire so it would be a fair old schlep for you.

My credentials are I've been using Logic since it was Notator on the Atari, was part of the beta-testing team under Emagic, written for many music magazines & I've mixed professionally.

PM me if you are interested and we can discuss options.
  • tedmanzie said:

Thanks Ted. I have to agree - it seems a steep learning curve. Or at least to me!!!! Certainly compared to the ease of my old 8 track. I keep going back to it - might have to give it away to commit to Logic. 

Also I do find it hard to learn from a dry text book.... so I appreciate the link. I'll certainly check it out. Thanks
    Yup, ultra steep learning curve imo. The only way you'll learn it from scratch is to be shown step by step how to get to a certain level so those courses should be able to do that, however if you're still at the stage of wondering how to get a signal into your computer then you might be better off going the personal lessons route. Try Gearslutz too, I once employed a guy to come and teach me Ableton from there.

You may actually be better off starting with Garageband, which is free, and may be a bit easier to get your head round initially. Further down the line you can open any Garageband project into Logic so you won't be wasting your time.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33837
    edited September 2016
    tedmanzie said:
    You may actually be better off starting with Garageband, which is free, and may be a bit easier to get your head round initially. Further down the line you can open any Garageband project into Logic so you won't be wasting your time.
    I'd like to comment on this if I may.
    Actually it doesn't matter what application you use because most of recording methodology isn't based on software specific stuff.
    Learning Logic is the easiest bit of this process.
    Most of what you would get taught would be unrelated to how X application does Y task, because you need to have an understanding of what Y task is, when you use it, when you don't, when it matters, when it doesn't etc. 
    Learning a specific audio application is actually a byproduct of learning how to record properly.

If you are going in at the deep end then you may need to cover off these topics as well:

Gain staging, audio pathing (channels, bussing, auxes, master bus), compression & eq methods, session management, microphone types, usage & technique, vocal recording, using plugins, audio synthesis, drum replacement, the difference between tracking and mix methods, audio editing techniques.

Each of these topics are pretty broad- there is no 'best way to do anything' but if you want to get into it there definitely are some best practices for most of them.

There are several ways to approach learning it- you can take one topic at once, or try to get a broad overview of each.
    I tend to think once you have a basic understanding of how to record it is a good idea to concentrate on specific things, like EQ or compression.
  • I agree with a lot of that, but what you are describing is a detailed course in how to engineer and produce, which is perfect for someone who wants to learn to that level but that is a LOT to learn straight off the bat! Especially if you're sitting in a room by yourself. Logic, Cubase etc are very complicated because they are extremely capable bits of professional software. What the OP wants to do is learn 'the basics', and in the same way that using a 4 track cuts out a lot of the technicalities of recording, then Garageband (or Cubase Lite if that still exists, etc)  would similarly cut out a lot of the technicalities and probably make the introduction to DAW recording a bit easier and therefore fun (which is the main thing).