Hi Fi Speakers

What's Hot
I'm looking to go back to using separates and will be mostly likely pairing a Marantz PM5005 with my current Technics CD player.
So, can anyone recommend some good bookshelf speakers, max height would need to be 30cm and all black. Amp is rated a 2x45 watts at 8 ohms.
Many thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2107
    I was going to recommend Dali Zensor 3s but they are a bit too tall. The Zensor 1 speakers would fit and if they are anywhere near as good as the 3s you won't be disappointed. Definitely worth considering.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Q Acoustics do an award winning bookshelf speaker - What Hi-Fi gave it 5 stars ..

http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/3020-stereo-speaker.htm

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I'm looking to go back to using separates and will be mostly likely pairing a Marantz PM5005 with my current Technics CD player.
    So, can anyone recommend some good bookshelf speakers, max height would need to be 30cm and all black. Amp is rated a 2x45 watts at 8 ohms.
    Many thanks in advance.
    As you have mentioned a height restriction are you thinking of using them on a bookshelf?
    If you have space a pair of budget speaker stands will get the best out of your new speakers.

The Monitor Audio Bronze 2 is 35cm tall and is getting great reviews. They are £280. I have heard them in a £3k system - they should have been outclassed but I would say they were not.

• marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    edited September 2016
    Mk1 Linn kan's sound great.
    I'be got some plus a set of Mk2''s, which are even tighter,but not so full sounding.
    I also have some active  Meridian M20's.
    People think it's them playing because the Mk1 Kan's have a lot of bass when positioned right.
    I use are Musical Fidelity 3B pretty and P270 power amps.
  • Q Acoustic 2020i, absolutely stonking speakers especially given its price tag. You will not be disappointed but get down Richer Sounds and have a look/listen at speakers you are considering.
  • Dali Zensors every time! 

I used to work in a Richer Sounds and got to hear loads on a daily basis, I would always come back to the zensors. 

I would strongly recommend fining your local hifi shop (that has a demo room!) and listening to as many as possible within your budget as a lot of it down to what you want out of the speaker.

But you wont be disappointed with the Dali's! 
  • And that is why you need to go and have a listen as I was disappointed with the Zensor 1s.. I was also not impressed with the non i Q Acoustics but love the 2020i
  • Skipped said:
    Many thanks in advance.
    As you have mentioned a height restriction are you thinking of using them on a bookshelf?
    If you have space a pair of budget speaker stands will get the best out of your new speakers.

The Monitor Audio Bronze 2 is 35cm tall and is getting great reviews. They are £280. I have heard them in a £3k system - they should have been outclassed but I would say they were not.
    Yep, I'm restricted by where they can go, as they have to pass the she who must be obeyed test, so a bookshelf is where they are heading.

Any suggestions for more budget speakers?

• I've always enjoyed Tannoy speakers
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3291
    edited September 2016
    I've always enjoyed Tannoy speakers
    The old Sixies range are legendary IMO, awesome speakers.. Wharfedale Diamond 8s were also superb they never bettered them.

KEF coda and cresta range are also one's to look for if looking budget 2nd hand.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Not all, few actually, hi-fi speakers work well on a shelf. Ditto for so called bookshelf speakers. Talk to a hi-fi dealer who will advise.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    AE-1's in Piano Black

Unbeatable.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    edited September 2016
    Is there any love for Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers out there? Also, is there anything to look out for regards speaker cable.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited September 2016
    Is there any love for Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers out there? Also, is there anything to look out for regards speaker cable.
    I don't know the later versions of the Diamonds but you are on the right lines. The ports are on the front. This enables people to wall mount these speakers on brackets.
    In other words, the speaker is designed to work very close to the back wall, and that is good news if you have to put them on a bookshelf.

On cables....If you are going to Richer Sounds you want the cheapest decent cable they suggest. One step up from bell wire. That is the best bet for your system.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Nice speakers .. didn't realise they price is now so low ...

https://www.nottinghamhifi.co.uk/wharfedale-diamond-9-1-speakers-pair-black.html?gclid=CPHd6LWo_84CFVU_GwoddRgKoQ

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Thanks @Skipped & @Fretwired - they are rated at a nominal 6 ohms, so would they work okay with the Marantz PM5005?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    Re speaker cable, a great cheap cheat is solid core copper mains cable.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    I've got an old Pair of Celestion 5s, which seem to go fairly cheaply, if you can find them. They sound the nuts too.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Skipped said:
    Many thanks in advance.

I agree that the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 do sound great. They are front ported and can be placed pretty close to the back wall without getting boomy if you block the ports with the handily supplied bungs.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28525
    Thanks @Skipped & @Fretwired - they are rated at a nominal 6 ohms, so would they work okay with the Marantz PM5005?
    The Marantz site states power output at 4 and 8 ohms, so it'll be fine at 6. The impedance will vary with frequency so it's just a rough indication.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."