Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

my first speeding ticket

What's Hot
been driving for over 30 years, got flashed on camera doing 52 in a 40 area of the A127.    Have recieved a notice saying i may be prosecuted and to sign and return the form. I have no intention of contesting it, im banged to rights. If im lucky i might get offered a speed awarenes course.  Just wondered is there any point in sending in with the form an apology letter pointing out it was 1:50 in the morning, no traffic around, accept i shouldnt have done it anyway but....., or should i not bother. It has worked for me in the past when i went in a bus lane in london, got let off.
anyone had any experience with this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think you may be too far beyond the limit to get a speed awareness course but that's based on the rules on my area - different police forces have different criteria for offering them. 

I wouldn't bother apologising and trying to point out it was 1.50am - that could well make your situation worse.
  • been driving for over 30 years, got flashed on camera doing 52 in a 40 area of the A127.    Have recieved a notice saying i may be prosecuted and to sign and return the form. I have no intention of contesting it, im banged to rights. If im lucky i might get offered a speed awarenes course.  Just wondered is there any point in sending in with the form an apology letter pointing out it was 1:50 in the morning, no traffic around, accept i shouldnt have done it anyway but....., or should i not bother. It has worked for me in the past when i went in a bus lane in london, got let off.
    anyone had any experience with this?
    That's a bummer. 

A few years ago, I was caught by a camera just outside Basildon on the A127 doing 49 in a 40. It was a short stretch between two 50 limits and I just didn't notice the change - too busy chatting to my mate. They let me do the speed awareness course rather than give me the points. The Essex one was interesting. My Dorset friends down here say the Dorset one is pants. 

Nothing you might say will stop the process, sorry. 
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    A127?  Are you an Essex fella?
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • MrBump said:
    A127?  Are you an Essex fella?
    im a hertfordshire fella, was doing a gig in southend,   expensive gig for me lol
  • The offer of the speed awareness came in the envelope with the penalty notice in my case so I suspect that ship has sailed. I quite enjoyed the course and found it useful although I had no memory of breaking the speed limit. 
    I can't imagine a letter of apology will get you far. Arguably speeding at 1:50am is an aggravating feature as it was dark and visibility restricted. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The offer of the speed awareness came in the envelope with the penalty notice in my case so I suspect that ship has sailed. I quite enjoyed the course and found it useful although I had no memory of breaking the speed limit. 
    I can't imagine a letter of apology will get you far. Arguably speeding at 1:50am is an aggravating feature as it was dark and visibility restricted. 
    its not a penalty notice, its a notice saying i may get a fine or speed course, i will have to see. TBH i may be better off taking the points and fine and maybe higher insurance as my time at the moment is more valuable than a 4 hour course.
    all this in a 16 year old skoda.....i should be rewarded :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    edited September 2016
    I think you may be too far beyond the limit to get a speed awareness course but that's based on the rules on my area - different police forces have different criteria for offering them. 

I wouldn't bother apologising and trying to point out it was 1.50am - that could well make your situation worse.
    He just sneaks in.
    10% plus 9 is the upper limit for speed awareness, which would be 53 in a 40.
    its not a penalty notice, its a notice saying i may get a fine or speed course, i will have to see. TBH i may be better off taking the points and fine and maybe higher insurance as my time at the moment is more valuable than a 4 hour course.
    Hmmm. You may not be very receptive to this, so please don't take offence, as none is meant. If you have never taken any further road-based driver training other than what you needed to do to get a licence, you may find it's 4 hours well spent. Everyone who attended mine genuinely felt they'd benefitted - and not just because they'd avoided getting the points. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I did a SAC a few year's ago and felt it was actually time well spent. I entered treating it as an imposition and left feeling I'd learnt some valuable things. 

Hmmm. You may not be very receptive to this, so please don't take offence, as none is meant. If you have never taken any further road-based driver training other than what you needed to do to get a licence, you may find it's 4 hours well spent. Everyone who attended mine genuinely felt they'd benefitted - and not just because they'd avoided getting the points. 

No offence taken. Seems a lot of people including my wife have very positive comments on thSAC, maybe if I'm offered I will take it.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    +1 for the SAC. I have moderated my driving afterwards and frankly am less stressed too. 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24350
    Believe it or not, me too.  A six month period of sitting at nine points also helped my motivation.  When you know the next zap of a camera will probably cost you your job, you tend to pay attention.

I almost never speed anymore.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    midlifecrisis said:

I got my one and only speeding ticket in a 2CV :D.

To be fair it was for doing 45 in the 30 - also late at night, coming downhill into the 30 and I didn't bother to slow down quickly enough… conserving momentum is important in a 2CV ;).

I just paid up and took the points. No point in arguing about it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    The SAC is not an option in Scotland, I believe.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I certainly wasn't given it as an option, but it was about twenty years ago anyway so I don't know if it was even in England.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    I was caught earlier this year. I had a similar document to the OP stating that I had to admit my liability first before any options were given. Once I admitted it, I received the options e.g. Fine & Points v SAC. I took the course, TBH I thought that the course was pretty good.
  • They could argue that if you didn't realise it was 52, they then could book you for driving without due care and attention.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    If you've an NIP, that means you're getting a ticket, no court - shut up, pay it, get it out of your life.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Gassage said:
    If you've an NIP, that means you're getting a ticket, no court - shut up, pay it, get it out of your life.
    I'm going to
  • Last time I got caught was when I was pulled for doing 89 in a 60 on a Triumph Bonnie. The cop who pulled me with blues and twos walked up and when he realised what bike it was said, 'you where doing 89 on that old thing!' to which I replied, 'before you stopped me I was doing a ton!'

I attended court and was fined £35 & 3 points

It was a long time ago
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom