Bicycle locks

What's Hot

What do you recommend?

I'll be getting separate security for storing the bike at home so looking for something portable that can preferably be attached to the bike when not in use.

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    If you are insuring the bike it might be worth checking out the insurers requirements. Something I failed to do and so ended up with a lock that they wouldn't cover (which was a good thing in the end as I didn't bother insuring the bike and it didn't get stolen). 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    edited September 2016
    When In Holland I noticed all the bikes had a caliper type lock on the front wheel/forks. I think that is mandatory. But most bikes seemed to also have a big chain (covered in plastic ot cloth) wrapped through the frame and a big padlock attached swinging off the machine as it trundled past.
    Just GOOFFLED and they are called wheel/frame locks over there and cost in the order of £25. A hefty chain will cost at least as much and then a decent padlock on top. Even so a determined tea leaf will come tooled up to get what they want, all you can do is inconvenience them and discourage the casual shit-leg.

Just a lat entry, this link might help
    http://thecyclingdutchman.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/the-convenience-of-dutch-bike-lock.html

• You need 19mm links on a chain or D lock if you want to have any serious protection from bolt croppers. That isn't particularly portable...
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2460
    The Abuse Granit X-Plus 540 is gold rated and only about £65. It does very well in tests and is insurance approved too. 
    It's heavy but will ward off everything but a quick-cut. 
    Its also rubberised to protect the frame.

Basically if you want security it comes at the expense of portability. At home a ground anchor and heavy chain are the way to do it.

You won't get absolute security, you just need your bike to be harder to steal than the next one.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    edited September 2016
    strtdv said:

You won't get absolute security, you just need your bike to be harder to steal than the next one.
    This.

Normally the advice is to use two locks of different types because it will probably mean that a thief might need two different tools.   For instance a hydraulic bottle jack can pop open a D lock, but is useless against a cable or a chain.

I have a good D lock, and a cheaper cable lock with a padlock.  My bike is nearly 9 years old now and doesn't look as pristine as it once did so that probably counts in my favour as well.

With a D lock, the most secure way is to get a relatively small one so that someone can't get a good angle to pop it, but you need to compromise somewhere because it needs to be big enough to fit around a post.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Abus Granit jobby was one I was looking at, I realise it won't make the bike completely secure but I'd rather get something that'll deter most casual thieves. 
    It's going to be kept in the house until I can sort my shed out - needs windows boarding, decent padlocks, replace screws with bolts and a ground anchor fitted before I'll even consider putting it back there. Need to finish putting leccy into it so can install security lighting and an alarm as well. 
  • I'd recommend checking out the sold secure web site. They're an independent testing organisation for security products. They haven't tested all the bike locks available, but they have a fairly comprehensive list. They grade products either gold, silver or bronze depending on performance. More info can be found here http://www.soldsecure.com/

I ended up buying one of these and I've still got a bike, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008QTKVO2
    Not the most portable, but I leave mine behind at my destination so I don't have to lug it about.

• I'd recommend checking out the sold secure web site. They're an independent testing organisation for security products. They haven't tested all the bike locks available, but they have a fairly comprehensive list. They grade products either gold, silver or bronze depending on performance. More info can be found here http://www.soldsecure.com/

I ended up buying one of these and I've still got a bike, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008QTKVO2
    Not the most portable, but I leave mine behind at my destination so I don't have to lug it about.

• The prices seemed steep for a chain the length i needed for the ground anchor in my garage so I got a length of 19mm hardened yacht chain and a squire closed shackle padlock. Some netting that goes around cat6 cabling i managed to purloin from a subby at work to go over the chain protects the paint.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5667

When I was cycling I had a big old D-lock (might have been the Granite jobby)  that I used to pop in the rack bag.  It was so heavy you could feel the balance of the bike change, especially when cycling uphill and out of the saddle - the side to side sway of the bike felt very different (and unsafe, lol) when I had the lock in the bag.

Still have the lock - it's been keeping my ladder secured to a concrete fence post outside my back door for the last four years.  The ladder has never been nicked (a small miracle on my estate) so it was a good investment :D

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited September 2016
    I have a security guard that cycles behind me everywhere and stands guards when I nip in the bookies or paper shop to get some Old Holborn and jazz mags

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I ordered the mini version of the Abus Granit wotsit in the end. Sold Secure gold rated and not as bulky as the full size one. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Remove the wheels and take them into the office with you.  You increase the chances that your bicycle will be where you left it when you return later that day.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5012
    edited September 2016
    Mate of mine at work had his £4K full sus Giant robbed by the thieves removing the section of pavement that the bollards his bike was chained to by 3 Kryptonite New Yorks to were sunk into! An entire section of pavement!!!

Serious bike thieves will always find a way
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I ordered the mini version of the Abus Granit wotsit in the end. Sold Secure gold rated and not as bulky as the full size one. 
    I've looked at those too. Just a heads up but I think the Sold Secure Gold only applies to the D-Lock and not the extension cable.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2250

I've got a cheapish bike a Kryptonite and two cheap chains. All three go on the stand or rack. IMHO the combination (sic) of three locks securing a sub £500 bike is hopefully too much effort for little gain.

I've looked at those too. Just a heads up but I think the Sold Secure Gold only applies to the D-Lock and not the extension cable.

I don't think the one I ordered includes a cable but I wouldn't expect it to be rated to anything if it did!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2169
    edited September 2016
    I use a kryptonite d lock at work. And if I'm going into town, that with another lock. 
    The frustrating thing is you try and get a bike as light as possible and then end up carrying a backpack with two heavy duty locks in.
    I've also registered all of my bikes with the police. I also bought some anti theft stickers from the same website.

www.bikeregister.com 

Hopefully this acts as some form of visual deterrent.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.