Saudi: Why do they get away with it?

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30931
Worst human rights record ever, supporters of ISIS.

UIntouched by USA.

Discuss.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    edited September 2016
    Oil, money and influence.

Completely agree it's shameful. It's not only the US that bows down, we have history in the region.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    Agreed.

But, so what?

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    oil
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    1. Because they're sitting on the world's largest oil reserves.
    2. Because they use some of the money they get for it to buy military hardware from the US and the UK.

Personally I would rather more happily deal with Russia and even Iran.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    edited September 2016
    There is good intel that they've got more than a finger in the Jihadi rebels based in Syria (they also bankrolled Al Queda for quite a while).

The fact that we have history (with Egypt/Jordan/Israel/Iraq & Syria more so than Saudi, but with the French a long track record of lies & double dealing) is probably why the US has more influence than we do.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • we only have to pretend to like them until the oil runs out. then we'll settle a few scores.
    Their FM on the TV this morning saying that if Assad doesn't clear out, they'll get involved in Syria is a pretty fucking scary prospect. Anyone for WWIII?!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Why don't Iran and Saudi Arabia just have it out and we can grab some popcorn.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    CHRISB50 said:

Their FM on the TV this morning saying that if Assad doesn't clear out, they'll get involved in Syria is a pretty fucking scary prospect. Anyone for WWIII?!
    I wouldn't worry too much. They only use their expensive Western military hardware on people who don't fight back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    CHRISB50 said:

I can only thank the Lord that Trump will be in power by then to calm things down and show a calming influence. 

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bastards though and through.

I think we should declare war on them, and bomb them back to the dark ages...

Oh...hang on...
    ICBM said:
    CHRISB50 said:

I wouldn't worry too much. They only use their expensive Western military hardware on people who don't fight back.
    You never know. Once they're finished with the Houthis in Yemen, they might get bored. I'm sure a bit of Western backing might give them some confidence. Then we'll be allied with 2 of the main nation states sponsoring ISIS, while fighting ISIS. What a fucking mess. 

Gassage said:
    CHRISB50 said:

I can only thank the Lord that Trump will be in power by then to calm things down and show a calming influence. 
    Haha indeed. Another scary prospect. Although it would be interesting to see in some ways which side of the fence he would fall on. He seems to be doing a bit of mutual back slapping with Putin at the moment. Who is obviously backing, and would continue to back the Assad / Iranian coalition. 

• In a sane world not run by sociopathic aristoctrats this would be more reason to move to renewable energy and subsidise the crap out of it (create jobs etc) and have independence from and less meddling in the Middle East over oil.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11321
    And now we have this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-37287434

Well, that's going to end up well, isn't it?

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    scrumhalf said:
    And now we have this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-37287434

Well, that's going to end up well, isn't it?

They may not be Muslims according to the Saudis but they are 'Sons of  the Maji', so it's not all bad.

It's a good thing that someone is calling out the Saudis, there's nothing much to disagree in anything Khamenei says -

"The world of Islam, including Muslim governments and peoples, must familiarize themselves with the Saudi rulers and correctly understand their blasphemous, faithless, dependent and materialistic nature. They must not let those rulers escape responsibility for the crimes they have caused throughout the world of Islam," he added.

But no, it won't end well.

Unless perhaps it's just a bit of managerial argy bargy at the height of the Hadj.
    They may not be Muslims according to the Saudis but they are 'Sons of  the Maji', so it's not all bad.
    Phew, that's a real relief.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9710
    Skarloey said:
    Bastards though and through.

I think we should declare war on them, and bomb them back to the dark ages...

Oh...hang on...
    Nah, carpet bomb them until the place resembles a desert...

Oh... hang on...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it