A question for the sparkys

I'm thinking of changing a few of the socket gangs in the house for ones with USBs on, 2 kids, lots of tablets/phones that cause argument over who charges what and where. 
 I took a look at the the one in the lounge which isn't chopped into the wall and it has a single earth. Looking at the ones in Screwfix shows they all have a double earth. 
 Is there a way these can be wired in from a single earth or am I doomed to the constant bickering of 2 children?
Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10442
    It's probably a spur, so only one live \ Nu \ earth as not on a ring .... you can still put a USB faceplate on it 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I don't recognise the terms "single earth" or "double earth" but the above deduction - that the socket is on a spur - seems a reasonable guess. As above, yes the socket can be replaced with a USB one. Bear in mind the new socket might be slightly deeper. Also if the old ones are double-pole switched, there may be a good reason for this so the replacements should also be double-pole switched.
  • So just ignore the other earth? It must be in the socket for some reason. 

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-2g-sp-switched-socket-3-1a-2g-usb-charger-brushed-stainless-steel/4962p

• paul_c2 said:
    I don't recognise the terms "single earth" or "double earth" but the above deduction - that the socket is on a spur - seems a reasonable guess. As above, yes the socket can be replaced with a USB one. Bear in mind the new socket might be slightly deeper. Also if the old ones are double-pole switched, there may be a good reason for this so the replacements should also be double-pole switched.
    Sorry it says twin earth and single pole switched. Still not sure of how I'd wire it to be honest

There's 2 earth terminals (which connect to the same conductor) to make it easier to install. If the back box is also metal (the type which is recessed into eg brickwork are normally metal) it also needs to be earthed with a short run of wire. Given that there's variations on wiring a socket:

socket in a radial - 2 sets of wires
    socket at the end of a spur - 1 set of wires
    socket in a radial, which has a spur taken off at that point - 3 sets of wires

You can see that there's the possibility of up to 4 earth wires needing to be connected. Hence there's 2 connection points.
  • Im not a sparky, this is only my uneducated view but I did something similar to what your trying to do.

Im my bedroom I had a single socket with single earth and replaced for double socket with double USB ports.  I had some twin and earth cable left from another DIY job, I cut out a strip of the earth used some earth shielding tube and slipped it over the strip of earth and bridged the two earth  terminals in the new socket back to the earth lead of the incoming supply so that if either socket or usb needed to discharge to earth they could.

Again im not saying this is the correct way to do it and im not suggesting you do the same im merely telling you what i did in this situation.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    Ok, so Im reading you have a socket with 1 x twin & earth cable, probably red, black and an earth if its a bit old ?

You can fit the new USB socket to this, Red/ Live, Black / Neutral and earth in either of the socket earth terminals ( they are linked internally) 

Your other sockets have 2 x twin and earth cables?...same connections, you can split the 2 earths onto separate terminals if you want or stick them both in the same one. 

Beware - some cheaper usb sockets are very deep and you will struggle to get it back, others have a spacer ring with them to give you a bit more depth. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • You just need to use one of the Earth connections, the'yre on the same bus so it will make no differnece. Also looking at the image you posted the Earth bus is exposed to the mounting screws so no need to run a separate earth cable to the patress box if it's a metal one.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    Make sure you buy decent quality sockets. The cheap ones with USB ports can be dangerous. There was a thing on the tv a while back saying the cheap ones have little or no shielding between the mains and the USB so there's the potential to get full mains voltage at the USB port. Also the cheap ones are unregulated so the voltage can spike and fry your phone/tablet. 
    The Screwfix ones are fine (a link was posted earlier), I installed 1x similar socket in my kitchen when I refurbished it. I was keeping costs down (and I don't have kids) so I only bought (and only needed) one, but its quite handy so long as the sockets themselves are handy too.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    LAP (Screwfix own brand) stuff is ok but it's definitely made down to a price. I have used it in the past but MK is much better. 
  • My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Would be nice to have it a bit tidier by having the socket but I could just end up with one of these. 

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5589612.htm

• The one you linked to is ASTA approved which is pretty much the same as BEAB (same company I believe) so I don't think it's in the same league as the uber cheap Chinese ones that seem to cause fires.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.