A question for the plumbers

What's Hot

When we got our shower installed the plumber hooked the outlet of shower into the same outlet pipe as the sink uses.

I would always be first in the shower and I noticed that the water would drain out very slowly.  If I run a sink full of water, and let it out while there is water sitting in the bottom of the shower tray, the shower immediately starts draining a lot quicker once the sink has emptied. 

Anyone know why this happens?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Venturi Effect?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_Munkee said:
    Venturi Effect?

I looked that up and I still don't understand it. What does it mean in simple terms?
  • The water from the sink going down the waste pipe creates a loss of pressure in the adjoining pipe from the shower, in effect "sucking" the water out with it.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Google 'Venturi Pump' to have text and piccygraphs.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    At a guess it's working like a syphon. The water from the sink is at a higher level, so the water has more weight and wants to flow through the pipe quicker than the pipe from the shower. This increases the suction in the other pipe and sucks out the water from the shower tray with it. 
  • I get it now.  I only have to do this once and the shower drains out fine the rest of the time, until the next day.  Would that still be the Venturi effect?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    I get it now.  I only have to do this once and the shower drains out fine the rest of the time, until the next day.  Would that still be the Venturi effect?
    Yup. Same as syphoning something. You just have to start it off and then it runs by itself. 
  • boogieman said:
    I get it now.  I only have to do this once and the shower drains out fine the rest of the time, until the next day.  Would that still be the Venturi effect?
    Yup. Same as syphoning something. You just have to start it off and then it runs by itself. 

Oh cool.  Thanks.