Amp pondering - from Marshall to ?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7508
My experience owning my (frankly wonderful) JCM800 reissue has been eye-opening in many ways.

The glorious clean, the revelation of how different it is using pedals with such a high headroom amp, and the genuinely ravaging tone of a boosted JCM in front of you (even with attenuation - it's the rawness - it's quite visceral)

I've surprised myself by using the clean (well, not 'channel', but the low input) base and adding pedals (or indeed not) more often than not (having a couple lovely pedals helps no doubt - couple of Thorpys, Carpe Diem, Guv'nor, Flux Drive)

So (here it comes at last) this has me wondering if that's how I do settle, can I get that kind of action, not in a full size head? Indeed in a combo perhaps? What kind of thing would I look at? 

Thanks for any thoughts, comments, or interesting tangents :-)

Tim
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    I must say, the one thing that is putting me off from going straight for a JCM800 head is the size.

I believe somebody mentioned a JCM-in-a-combo a week or so ago. Marshall 4210 or something? I believe that's the 50w JCM800 2204 in combo version. I think.
  • 4010 jcm800
    50w 1x12
    single channel loveliness 
    @icbm will back me up on this. 

Btw I used it exactly as you do, lie input, pedals in the front ( no fx loop anyway) 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    4010 jcm800
    50w 1x12

Btw I used it exactly as you do, lie input, pedals in the front ( no fx loop anyway) 
    Yes. It's the 4010 you want - the 4210 is the channel-switching one.

The 4010 usually comes with either a G12M-70 or a G12T-75, neither of which are ideal, so budget for a Creamback to replace it. If you're lucky and it's an early one with a G12-65 you won't need to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• newi123newi123 Frets: 867

I hate how big Marshall heads are - you need a full size cab so the head doesn't overlap and look stupid....... (jtm 45 excepted)

I also don't think the combos sound as good as the head + cab. Mainly as the cabs are always closed back and the combos usually seem to be open backed.

Tim - you're more than welcome to borrow my little jet city jca20hv for a while if you like (assuming you're still in Swindon?) not sure how close it'll go to low input jcm800, but it does the whole 2061x thing surprisingly well!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    4010 jcm800
    50w 1x12

Yes. It's the 4010 you want - the 4210 is the channel-switching one.

The 4010 usually comes with either a G12M-70 or a G12T-75, neither of which are ideal, so budget for a Creamback to replace it. If you're lucky and it's an early one with a G12-65 you won't need to.
    Which was the one I had Dec '81
  • I have a 4104 combo from the early '80s. A 50w 2204 in combo form with g12-65s. It is effing loud but a wonderful amp. Heavy as a bastard but a great great amp. Bought it for £200 out of Loot in the early 90s as my first amp - had no idea what I'd got!! They come up once in a while. Mine has vertical inputs which according to forum chatter is better than horizontal inputs being largely the same as the JMP 2204s. 
    professorben said:

That would have had a 65 I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7508
    The JCM reissue is the first amp I've used a loop on - I've been quite liking the slight extra clarity it gives to delays and reverbs there.

If I wanted to keep a loop, what are other pedal platforms? High power is fine - I'm all attenuated up 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBM said:
    professorben said:

That would have had a 65 I think.
    Sorry mis typed that, I meant yes that's the one I had in my Dec '81 

professorben said:

Sorry mis typed that, I meant yes that's the one I had in my Dec '81 
    Ha! I assumed you meant you didn't know. Most people have no idea what speakers are in their amp - despite it being such an important part of the sound.

From memory the 65 was used up to around early '83, the 70 only briefly, possibly in only '83 or into early '84, and the 75 from '84 onwards.

The interesting thing about the 70 is that although it's one of my least favourite Celestions in valve amps, I heard one in a 5210 'solid state JCM800' recently and it sounded great. It seems to be the most common speaker in that model, so possibly someone at Marshall thought so too.