At Last !! A Klon(e) I Like And Can Use... RYRA

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    @wazmiester, nice pedal, I'm interested in why this one cuts it whereas the others didn't, is this supposed to be a more accurate Klone, or dos it add its own flavour?

For the record, the Sick As is the best Klon type I've used as it adds a much needed bass control and two switchable clipping stages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9593
    edited September 2016
    Ive owned, off the top of my head... Tumnus, KTR, ARC v2, RYRA, etc etc and have played a couple of real ones. For me, there often seems to be one sound in the Klones. Just a little bit 'more' of your amp... Thats it, and so Im always left underwhelmed... The ARC was prob the best.

This one came highly recommended, and I love the gold look. 

It seems to add warmth, good brights and be quite transparent. If it makes sense, my initial thoughts were that at very low gain, it had some of the magic of the EP; and how I remembered the original Klon.

struggling for descriptive words !

Whats other owners think ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the sheer number of users of actual original Klons saying the RYRA allowed them to take them off their boards because they sounded identical (including Steve Miller's guitarist - Miller has five Klons) suggests it's at least very close to the real deal. 

For me, it's just a great pedal, the first overdrive I've ever used that could be truly transparent. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited September 2016
    Honestly, unless they're changing the values of the pedal in a big way, they're much of a muchness. All of them. The biggest change tends to come from how they do the tone caps/resistors. This is the only point of contention on the Klon because real Klons that have been traced have been different from each other in this area. Which way you decide to build yours determines how the tone pot reacts and the mid hump to a degree.

That's about it. *If* they stick to the correct schematic and known forward voltages for the diodes, one klone will be in the same sort of area as any other. Big changes mean something's is different in it's make up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6217
    tFB Trader
    juansolo said:
    Honestly, unless they're changing the values of the pedal in a big way, they're much of a muchness. All of them. The biggest change tends to come from how they do the tone caps/resistors. This is the only point of contention on the Klon because real Klons that have been traced have been different from each other in this area. Which way you decide to build yours determines how the tone pot reacts and the mid scoop to a degree.

That's about it. *If* they stick to the correct schematic and known forward voltages for the diodes, one klone will be in the same sort of area as any other. Big changes mean something's is different in it's make up.
    Having built several klones in differing configurations over the years I wholeheartedly agree with this. However the most interesting klone that is on the horizon is this one.......from ceriatone

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m447/thorpy6/d15452b0a4d35e3b700b78bc1e714710.jpg

And he he really did strip his own klon down to analyse the build. Awesome attention to detail, including the enclosure! 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nice if he's doing the box too as it's really the only thing that makes the real ones any different.
  • juansolo said:
    Nice if he's doing the box too as it's really the only thing that makes the real ones any different.
    You know, I respect your pedal knowledge but I wonder what DOES actually make the difference with these simple circuits ? Cos, without a doubt, some do seem to sound and feel different...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2016
    Mainly tolerances.

Post a gutshot, let's take a look inside

Very interesting thread this: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=16207.msg153339#msg153339

FWIW we made one with a single change in the tone cap value that was indistinguishable from the gold Klon we compared it to (which is indeed up for sale I believe as the fella has decided there's not a lot of point in keeping it).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6217
    tFB Trader
    juansolo said:
    You know, I respect your pedal knowledge but I wonder what DOES actually make the difference with these simple circuits ? Cos, without a doubt, some do seem to sound and feel different...
    Bill fiinegan has been quoted as saying that he used to test resistors etc to ensure they had the right values to be placed in the requisite positions in the circuit. If this is true then I find it odd. Mainly because he used 5% tolerance resistors and he could have saved himself a massive amount of hassle by using 1% or even 0.1% tolerance resistors.

but as @juansolo has said, the tone circuit in this circuit is absolutely key to how it sounds, and the forward voltage of the diodes affects how hard or soft the distortion sounds. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited September 2016
    Also pot tolerances can be a factor as they're usually +-20%.

if you watch the TPS episode on klones even the gold and silver klon sounded quite different from each other yet the circuits will be identical except possibly for the tone stack resistors which Juan Solo mentioned.  

I built 2 KoT clones a few months ago from the same parts order 1 sounded really good and the other sounded absolutely epic.  I started a thread over on madbean on how if 2 pedals are made from the same parts why would one could sound absolutely magic and the other just sounds good the answer I got was the person who figures this out will be a very rich man ;-)
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5292
    edited September 2016
    I know nothing about anything really least of all the inner workings of a Klone, but like @Wazmeister says the RYRA sounds better to my ears..and it would appear  others have reached a similar conclusion on here..previous Klones i have owned included

Sick As
    Klon Ktr
    Rockett Archer
    Wampler Tumnus

are so many different folks on here getting it wrong?  mass self deception..who knows i certainly dont, but scientists are fantastic at science...somethings are though, more than the sum of their parts
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5292
    has anyone built a clone of the Klone of the Klon...surely that would be the acid test
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    mgaw said:
    I know nothing about anything really least of all the inner workings of a Klone, but like @Wazmeister says the RYRA sounds better to my ears..and it would appear  others have reached a similar conclusion on here..previous Klones i have owned included

Sick As
    Klon Ktr
    Rockett Archer
    Wampler Tumnus

are so many different folks on here getting it wrong?  mass self deception..who knows i certainly dont, but scientists are fantastic at science...somethings are though, more than the sum of their parts

The tumnus is slightly different as it does use different values and isn't a 100% Klone I'd be amazed if you could tell the difference between a ktr and an archer in a blind folded test though.

• @Wazmeister what would you say puts the RYRA above the Archer and KTR?

The RYRA certainly sounds amazing at various settings, to my ears. I've been messing with it all morning, beautiful. Definitely one of the coolest looking pedals too.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    ThorpyFX said:
    juansolo said:
    Bill fiinegan has been quoted as saying that he used to test resistors etc to ensure they had the right values to be placed in the requisite positions in the circuit. If this is true then I find it odd. Mainly because he used 5% tolerance resistors and he could have saved himself a massive amount of hassle by using 1% or even 0.1% tolerance resistors.

but as @juansolo has said, the tone circuit in this circuit is absolutely key to how it sounds, and the forward voltage of the diodes affects how hard or soft the distortion sounds. 
    Nailed on.