High mounted speakers for home amp ?

AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
Ok bear with me,

I have a Vox VT20+ and i'm seriously thinking of pulling the chassis out of the MDF box with it's 8" Speaker and running it into a 1x12 cabinet. I will make some kind of box to house the amp in but it's really shallow and doesn't look like it will be huge at all.

If i was to run a speaker lead up to a shelf at curtain rail height and angle the speaker cab down towards me, is it going to sound really bad or really good?

How high can you have a speaker before it sounds wrong or is it just down to the angle and the speakers projection (Probably the wrong phrase................is it axis? On or off axis?)

As a extension of this, my original speaker is 4 ohms.
Assuming i've got the height optimal, would using two speaker cabs and mounting them apart like you would a hi fi set up sound good or bad? I know it's not stereo but would it give a good or bad sound? Should a two speaker set up be in one cab side by side or top and bottom?

I'm finishing off the living room decor and we're already going to run permanent wires up to high shelves for hi fi speakers, again angled slightly downwards so it made me wonder about getting rid of the combo amp and having the smaller, rehoused chassis on a shelf with permanent leads to speakers mounted on the wall somehow.

If anyone's got any ideas on this that would be great
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I've had cabs at eye level, or I should say ear level and they haven't sounded any different to floor mounted. Doesn't it just depend on how well they're angled in your direction?
    Of course, if you like the open back cab sound then you'll lose that if they're against the wall.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Just all seems unnecessarily complicated...

You might lose a bit of bass by taking it off the ground, you might also get some reflections that are different to what you're used to by angling the speakers as you propose, if you have it at volume. Could probably be addressed with the right EQ settings.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Jack_ said:
    Just all seems unnecessarily complicated...

You might lose a bit of bass by taking it off the ground, you might also get some reflections that are different to what you're used to by angling the speakers as you propose, if you have it at volume. Could probably be addressed with the right EQ settings.
    Thanks.

I suppose it does sound complicated but it's a small room and i'm trying to keep the floor space clear for furniture. While i'm looking at mounting the Hi Fi speakers, i was also thinking of rehousing the amp anyway so the two things came together and i got here with it.

It's not strictly necessary but i thought an integrated amp in the room would be really cool and it's never going to be an amp i take out and gig so losing the combo element isn't a problem. I wasn't planning on modifying the MDF combo at all so in future i could just put it back and spec allowing, run another amp into the existing mounted speakers so it seemed like a worthwhile project.

They could be mounted at head height i think so they might not need angling too much but i get what you say about reflection.

Thanks for the input (No pun) and i know my inexperience with amps is showing but i guess it's all part of learning. I appreciate the help.